Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:17 pm

All times are

Post subject: Red Fox (injured?)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:08 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Last Monday, when I went to check my camera trap, I noticed a strange red fox snow track. Every so often, for a distance of 20-30 yards, there would be a distinct thin drag mark alongside the track. Then it would resume normally and then repeat the drag mark. I thought then that the reason could be from an injury or something like snow caught between the toes...or maybe it was occasionally dragging it's prey??

Take a close look at the inside left leg of the red fox in the photo. Does it look like an injury? The time stamp on the photo would coincide with the fox track I described. :tinkin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Red Fox (injured?)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:35 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Kalon wrote:
Last Monday, when I went to check my camera trap, I noticed a strange red fox snow track. Every so often, for a distance of 20-30 yards, there would be a distinct thin drag mark alongside the track. Then it would resume normally and then repeat the drag mark. I thought then that the reason could be from an injury or something like snow caught between the toes...or maybe it was occasionally dragging it's prey??

Take a close look at the inside left leg of the red fox in the photo. Does it look like an injury? The time stamp on the photo would coincide with the fox track I described. :tinkin

It definitely looks like an injury alright and not that uncommon a place to get an injury. This buck has a similar injury in the same area and I just figured that he got hung up on a fence line. The bad thing is that it's in an area where there is a lot of flexing. This buck has had that open wound for about 3 months and it's only now starting to heal over.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:34 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Westcocanuck2 It definitely looks like an injury alright and not that uncommon a place to get an injury. This buck has a similar injury in the same area and I just figured that he got hung up on a fence line. The bad thing is that it's in an area where there is a lot of flexing. This buck has had that open wound for about 3 months and it's only now starting to heal over.[/quote]

Interesting observation and thank you for the comparative photo. Sure looks like that buck got hung up and will spend some time healing, much like the fox. I agree, it's an area on the body that when injured will flex often and may take more time to heal up or become infected. I'm hoping this fox makes a speedy recovery, but nature can be unrelenting. Thanks for the observation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:09 am 
Emperor
Emperor

It does look like it may have some sort of injury, unsure. Nice pic though.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:21 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Good photo. Certainly a gash on the leg.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:21 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I am sure it isn't an easy life.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:22 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks for the photo an discussion.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:05 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Life ain't easy for wild critters, they'd better be tough and they are. A friend obtained the skull of an eastern coyote that had been shot quite a while before it was eventually killed by a vehicle. The shot entered below the eye, took out a molar in the upper jaw, then exited through the lower jaw on the opposite side where it took out three teeth and broke the jaw. All the injuries had healed and the bones had calcified around the injuries. How that animal ate while the wounds healed is a mystery.

Recently a neighbor showed me the skull of a black bear that had been shot in the head with an arrow. In this lousy photo you can see the arrowhead where it was embedded in the brain and the entrance hole where the broadhead entered the skull -- that wound had also healed and calcified. From what he said, the bear was completely normal except for being blind in the left eye. They are tough!

All times are