Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:06 am

All times are

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:55 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Philldixon wrote:
Finally got some batteries charged and the Viltrox fc-240 wakes both sb-28 and sb-600.
I can't speak for their battery life though, they only use 2xAAA so might need modding for longer term. The set cost equivalent of $30.

If anyone needs a battery life test I can get some more AAAs, otherwise I'll need one set to put back in my TV remote :-)

I mainly use Camtraptions V2s. though and they can have external power as well as internal AAA. They definitely wake SB-28s ( currently running my flashes outside now)
Thanks for all the information..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:54 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Simply the Yongnuo Rf603ii will do exactly as you ask. Been around quite a while and not expensive and they are TX/RX so easy to split pairs. You will probably need to give them a bit more battery than the std AAAs if you want them to last over 3 days (6 AAs give me 3 weeks ish).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Yongnuo work great except for the battery life. And you are right, having one trigger do both RX and TX makes things a lot simpler. I put one on a mA meter and found the following:

TX Standby = 3.2mA
TX TX = 13.3 mA

RX Standby = 17.4mA
RX RX = 25.6mA

On a breadboard I made a circuit that will use one 18650 rechargeable battery to power the unit and also has a photo transistor input into a microcontroller to turn off the RF603 during the day. It's only been running for a couple days but should get at least three or four weeks of use.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The 18650 is still powering the Yongnuo flash trigger receiver. The battery voltage is currently 3.7 volts. It's been about nineteen days. I think it will make it to thirty days.

I had a PC board built to hold the battery and control circuitry. The switch on the board turns power on and off and also has a position for 24/7 operation.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:44 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Jeff. Did you get a result on the duration of the 18650? I have been getting about 3 weeks with 6 AA eneloop types. But am quite attracted to 18650 just to deal with the shear volume of AAs (24 for just 2 speedlights plus trigger transmitter and camera receiver/transmitter).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RichardB wrote:
Jeff. Did you get a result on the duration of the 18650? I have been getting about 3 weeks with 6 AA eneloop types. But am quite attracted to 18650 just to deal with the shear volume of AAs (24 for just 2 speedlights plus trigger transmitter and camera receiver/transmitter).

The 18650 is working great to power the flash trigger receiver. This time of year the sun is up by 6 am and down around 9:30. So the nights are short and one 18650 has lasted 30+ days.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:41 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

-jeff wrote:
RichardB wrote:

The 18650 is working great to power the flash trigger receiver. This time of year the sun is up by 6 am and down around 9:30. So the nights are short and one 18650 has lasted 30+ days.

Nice. Does the little control board also switch the battery (and thus transmitter receiver) on and off so flash is only active at night?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RichardB wrote:
-jeff wrote:
RichardB wrote:

Nice. Does the little control board also switch the battery (and thus transmitter receiver) on and off so flash is only active at night?

Yes, everything is off at night except the micro controller. In the sleep mode it draws a couple uA.

All times are