Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:10 pm

All times are

Post subject: Re: Wolverine w/flash
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:59 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I wonder how flash affects those guys in regards to returning to the same location. Are you using some sort of lure? Any return visits after the flash capture?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:16 am 
Royal
Royal

ChoogShooter wrote:
I wonder how flash affects those guys in regards to returning to the same location. Are you using some sort of lure? Any return visits after the flash capture?

Yes, I used a long distance skunk based call lure at this station. Seems to attract a variety of species. :awesome

GREAT question about flash and how it affects animal behavior. :awesome
A very experienced wolverine biologist, Jeff Copeland, has said that wolverines are all individuals and that their behavior characteristics range the gamut from shy to bold. In this particular case, I had never photographed any wild animal with a Nikon SB flash before, so I was just as interested in this question as you are.

The wolverine made 2 visits allowing 19 photos to be captured all with multiple flashes firing. Visit #1. 4:06:24 pm (1-2 trigger - 4 pics). Visit #2. 6:52:34 (3 triggers - 7 pics) and 6:53:10 (3-4 triggers - 8 pics).

You be the judge, but my guess (and it's only a guess - you know what that's worth) is that the wolverine was somewhat frightened by the first flash blast at 4:06:24, but like some big weasels, it was curious enough to return 2:46 hours later, recheck the situation, sniffed the lure, curiosity sated and was gone. The marten made several visits too, and then never returned all summer. Keep in mind that summer temps may have something to do with these two types of animals not returning. Maybe they moved on to other food sources once the snow melted? Marmots in talus slopes for wolverine? :tinkin

Besides the white front feet, this wolverine has a torn front left ear. Should help with more consistent photo identification of this individual, since currently there at least 3 other wolverines running around Montana from Yellowstone to MT/Idaho border with white front feet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:03 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Thanks. That has sort of been our experience around here with them. Some bold but most very shy. I avoided adding flash to a set last year but it didnt make any difference since it didnt trigger the cam. Maybe this year. Nice stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:02 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Somehow I missed this posting, but just wanted to say I sure like the photo and appreciate the information about the animal's markings. I guess there's a chance one of these wolverines could pass through my friend's land west of Whitefish.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:56 am 
Royal
Royal

cameratrapcodger wrote:
Somehow I missed this posting, but just wanted to say I sure like the photo and appreciate the information about the animal's markings. I guess there's a chance one of these wolverines could pass through my friend's land west of Whitefish.

Cameratrapcodger, I'm not aware of any groups monitoring for wolverine directly west of Whitefish (Tally to Koocanusa Lake). Go a bit further west and there are some recently confirmed wolverines, but surprisingly few. However, the country directly west of Whitefish is located very close to Glacier Nat Park, which seems to be the epicenter for wolverine in the lower 48, but may lack good corridors to and from. More recently, there does seem to be an uptick in wolverine sightings overall. Especially, since 2012 (seems to coincide with: moratorium on wolverine trapping - 2012). Has your friend ever seen wolverine tracks in his country west of Whitefish?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:05 am 
Royal
Royal

ChoogShooter wrote:
Thanks. That has sort of been our experience around here with them. Some bold but most very shy. I avoided adding flash to a set last year but it didnt make any difference since it didnt trigger the cam. Maybe this year. Nice stuff!

ChoogShooter, I forgot to mention I rigged a pair of lights up to a 4K video set (30 second clips) and that definitely scared the whiz out of the gulo's (both day and night) so I quickly stopped that practice. Many folks have mentioned that flash mimics lightning and seems to have less effect on wild critters. Curious where/what is your experience with wolverine's that you've mentioned? And best of luck with camtrapping these animals and please keep me/Camtrapper posted with your results, if you will.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:01 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Kalon, my friend has spend summers in his cabin outside of Whitefish in a thinly populated area. Sees moose and deer regularly. This year he bought a house in town, so is closer to the cabin year round. I want to set a cam there over winter. He's up for it.

All times are