Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:17 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:28 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Is there a cut off in temp that you guys won't keep your equipment out there any longer? Just wondering if a guy can ruin a dslr because of too cold of temps? I'm in Wisconsin where it can get as low as -20 or so in the worst of the season.. I have a T5 Canon if that matters....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:57 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Good question Bones but I don't have an answer for you per say but I can tell you this much.

From what I have gathered here from previous posts. It's the batteries that will fail you but I have never heard of a camera giving up the ghost under cold temps. I do know of a documentary called "CHASING ICE" where they used several dozen Nikon D200 camera traps to document retreating glaciers. In places such as Greenland, Iceland and Alaska. So I would imagine that you should have no problems in your area but let's hear what others have to say.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:27 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I don't have any DSLR camera traps, but my P32s, S40's and L11s have performed at 5-10 below zero (F) and maybe lower; Fuji J10 quits at about +25. Like westcocanuck said it's the battery that typically gives out. Lithiums and rechargables apparently do much better than alkalines (which I never use in either camera or board). If you can also use an external battery with your DSLR that would help in low temps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:02 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Ok thanks guys. I have always ran commercial trail cameras on lithiums and have never had a problem running all winter. But I’m running rechargeable in my speed lights, 2 regular canon batteries in the canon camera, and 4 AA Alkaline for the board. Im going to see what happens. I’m ok with the batteries going dead earlier than normal, I just dont want to ruin the camera.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:31 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I have made camera trap images of cougars in minus 40. The only thing you have to worry about is the state of your batteries. I use Energizer ultimate lithium and my flashes will continue to operate in minus 20 degrees for almost 2 weeks. My Nikon d-3200 and d3300 have been champs, lasting for a couple of weeks in equally cold temperatures.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

One of my customers has 45+ timelapse cameras out in NE, WY and CO. The highest one is around 13,000' in CO. Temps there go way below 0F. Never had a DSLR related problem. The cameras are mostly Nikon D300 and some D3200. http://plattebasintimelapse.com/ Also have a customer in Tibet with DSLR camera traps at 16,000' with extreme temps. No DSLR related issues.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:33 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Sounds good, that's what I wanted to hear. Sounds like battery life will be the biggest issue. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:30 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I have a Canon T5 that I left out all last winter in New England. After I modded the camera to accept a 8volt sla battery, I could leave it out for weeks before charging. No problems at all. Also left it out all summer in high temps, also with no problems.

I'm writing up my SLA battery mod for the T5 that I'll be posting here in a few days.

All times are