Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:09 am

All times are

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:32 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hey everybody,

I've been struggling with battery issues in Montana's cold temperatures. I recently switched to energizer lithium batteries for use in my Phottix Strato II wireless triggers. The temps at night have been around 10-15F, and the fresh batteries lasted just 2 days in the receivers! From what I understand, these batteries are supposed to be built for the cold. I'm not sure if I just got a bad batch or what. I've also had bad luck with the Amazon Basics high-capacity rechargeable AAs in my SB-28s. Before I switched to rechargeables and lithiums, I was using standard alkaline batteries, and was having better luck with those. I switched because I wanted longer battery life.

So what are you using for batteries in your flashes and triggers for your cold weather sets? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:09 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Hey: I live in the mountains of central Alberta. I run my sb-28s on Energizer ultimate lithiums. In the winter, I visit the set once a week and change out all the batteries. I usually find that one of the double a batteries is close to losing its charge but the rest of the batch are fine and can be used for the next visit. I use two D cell batteries to power the wire-less flash transmitter and receivers. I get at least three weeks of life from these. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:12 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I use the AA high capacity amazon batteries, the envelop pro, and powerex high capacity. I have had good success with all them in cold temps. The high capacity amazon are the cheapest. I like them all and I run piles of cameras and remote slave flashes and live in Saskatchewan Canada. Weird that the amazon high capacity never worked for u as I have the most of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 pm 
King
King

After reading this post, the next post is on how to convert battery holders for cold weather l thought that you may want to read it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:23 pm 
King
King

Zack, Look at the post by Richard, AAbattery holder conversions

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:55 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Seems weird that 15-20C would cause such an issue; my strategy when I was in WY was to run the RF triggers off D-Cells once it got cold, like AV mentioned. I used Tenergy NiMh D batts. With the Cactus triggers I used back then, I'd get like 2 weeks, but with the Camtraptions I now use I would expect 1-2 months, I get 3 weeks in normal temps from just AA externals plus the AAA's inside.

All times are