All times are

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:39 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Outstanding pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:33 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

You've captured some great images, Johanna. Looking forward to more from S Cal in 2016.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:37 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Wow! Great photos, love the city lights, too bad about that wonderful pose/background getting a little overexposed but still a great shot.

Not to distract from photos, but a couple quick thoughts:

Science (e.g., predator movement studies) often doesn't translate into policy, and if it does it takes a long time. That's not necessarily because of the scientists, it's because the people who make decisions at federal agencies, etc. are politically appointed, they make their decisions based on a lot of factors, science unfortunately being a small one. Look at something like target wolf numbers in Idaho; there is some science involved, but lobbying from a wide variety of stakeholders has a bigger influence.

Collaring studies that don't result in policy changes are not supporting academics; state agencies do most of the collaring; academics often step in to help them analyze their incredibly complex movement data (thought sometimes they do the whole thing). Academics that often could be making 100's of thousands in the private sector applying their quantitative skills in finance, etc. are instead hustling to raise their own research/salary funds, ~1/2 what they bring in goes to the University, which is what keeps things running now that most public universities are essentially private and receive mostly non-state funds.

I'm not a fan of "collar em and foller em" research, but hard to think it's a bid deal in the grand scheme of things in the lower-48 when you consider the other things we do to predators.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:09 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Some great pictures there

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:11 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Beautiful shots with terrific backgrounds! Around here when we see collars they are the legacy of a cancelled tracking program. When the program was cancelled, all transmitting collars were removed. Cats with broken collars could not be located for collar removal. I was told if I can associate a collared cat with a kill, I can contact wildlife officials and they will attempt a capture /collar removal when the cat returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All times are