Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:06 am

All times are

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:24 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Finally decided to learn a little code writing to program microprocessor. Been messing with Arduino/Adafruit Trinket/Moteino microprocessors to prototype some camera controllers. Wow! This if fun stuff. I know the Arduino is not new to cam trapping, but these things are still pretty awesome. The Moteino is a low-battery consumption version.

Anyone else still using the Arduino IDE to control cameras?

https://www.instagram.com/caseysmarttphoto/
http://www.caseysmartt.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:51 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

I've been messing with them on and off for a year. Pretty easy to do some really cool stuff! Going to make up some of my own PIR PCB boards attached to an Arduino controller and see how that works out. Tried using the PIR modules from adafruit/china/ebay, but my PIR modules draw 20-60ma and I considered that too much for long term sets. Ok if you are doing SLR and will check in a week or month, but wanted in ~10-20uA current draw total that would last for a year or so on a small lithium battery. The key in my opinion is getting the Arduino to full sleep where they draw almost no power, and ideally cutting out the voltage regulator too and running it "dirty" directly off a battery if you are looking for efficiencey. Hope to send the PCB's out next week or the week after, will post back on my results after testing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:14 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Cool!

The Moteino can get quite low.

On the Adafruit Trinket 5v's Ive been playing with, I'm getting about 16mA running a Parallax motion sensor with no sleep mode modifications installed on the Trinket. Probably get about 10 days with 4 good AA rechargeables. Pretty poor battery life, but it's a start. Code I'm running pretty simple- 2 shutter fires per motion event (to ensure flashes wake up) and shutter only fires from dusk-dawn (LDR input on one of the pins). I get too many heat-related false triggers if things are left on during the day. Would be simple to add in a sleep mode/code.

https://www.instagram.com/caseysmarttphoto/
http://www.caseysmartt.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:08 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

That's better battery life then what I was getting, just start simple and keep building onto what you have :) I think the 5V trinket has a pretty high clock speed, probably slowed down in low power mode because you don't need 16Mhz unless you're really cranking out a program but sounds like you're well on your way. With a little code modification you could have the Arduino check to see when the last trigger was and then fire once if the flashes are awake or fire twice if the flashes are asleep. Problem is the arduino doesn't have a great clock without an outside chip but as long as you set the time intervals a little within the bounds of what you want it shouldn't matter (hope that makes sense). Something like:

"if it's been greater then 10 minutes(or whatever time it takes the flashes to go to sleep) since the last trigger, then the flashes are off...
If the flashes are off, trigger twice to wake up and fire flashes.
If it's been less then 10 minutes since the last trigger, fire once because the flashes are already awake".

I've played around with a photo-resister a bit too for measuring ambient light but probably not a factor with an SLR setup. Adafruit has some solid stuff, be it expensive, but shipping is always fast and can't beat the tutorials. They have RGB LED's that a fun to play with too. Each LED can make 16 million colors. So you can setup your arduino to blink the LED orange when the PIR is warming up, then make it turn red with it sense motion to get a good setup, and then have it turn green when it's armed...all with one LED. Sometimes simpler is better, you can make it as complicated as you want of course, but also fun to play around with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:24 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I documented my active IR camera trap using an Arduino for an Instructables.com contest... came in second place :pullhare . Battery life is not great, but gave me some features I needed that I couldn't purchase commercially.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Buildi ... rap-for-W/

All times are