Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:32 am

All times are

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:37 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hey guys. Been a while since I've posted here. Haven't done as much cam trapping as I'd like, but I such is life, right? I did set up my camera trap again this spring for the rainbow smelt migration (to see what was eating them). The migration is winding down so I recently moved the set to try and capture grouse on a drumming log. The set is in a forested location and in order to get the right amount of ambient light I was looking for, I knew I was going to need to use Aperture priority on the D3100.

I have yet to get a grouse on camera, but instead keep getting raccoons and feral cats ( :| ). I'm noticing that my SB-28s fire at least twice during the long exposures, which creates really ANNOYING ghosting. I checked the set today and found what would have been a great shot taken last night at blue hour (around 9:20PM), but the flash fired a second time, ghosting the raccoon that was walking across the log.

I'm using a set of Vello FreeWave Fusion Wireless Flash Triggers. Has anyone experienced this problem before?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/754153-REG/Vello_RFW_C_FreeWave_Fusion_Wireless_Flash.html

I did get lucky the other day and a it looks like my flashes fired just once during the 30 second exposure. See below.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sean Landsman Photography
Freezing Nature

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:33 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Beautiful picture, I like the light, can you tell me some technical data? Congratulations

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:09 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hi Tommy,

Sure. Nikon D3100 with 18-55 mm kit lens at 18 mm. ISO 800, f/11, 30 sec exposure. Two Nikon SB-28s, one camera right about 2.5 ft away, 3.5 ft high at 1/2 power and one camera left about 5-6 ft toward the end of the log and 12-14 inches above ground at 1/4 power.

Sean Landsman Photography
Freezing Nature

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:38 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

The picture turned out very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All times are