Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:50 am

All times are

Post subject: Timer Mod
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:10 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Last year I modified a Favolcano 12v timer to operate off a AAA battery and control the on/off times of a motion sensor signal. The timers run forever on a battery and have multiple scheduling options. They have worked really well and proven quite reliable, so I decided to take what I learned and make them a bit more versatile.

The new version I built has a 2.5mm input plug and output plug. Things like motion sensors, intervalometers, etc... can plug into the input side, and the output side can plug into the camera shutter cable. For the actual build, the unit is gutted and basically the AAA battery is wired to the +/- of the digital board. During ON cycles, the digital timer board outputs a + signal which is connected to a NPN switching transistor. The transistor acts as a switch on the shutter cable (output).

I use the timers because I like to control my camera times beyond standard daylight/dark schedules. Midday runs often result in a lot of false triggers so timer is OFF and blocks the PIR signal during those "heat of day" times. But, dusk/dawn and night are primo times for camera shots, so the timer is ON during those hours. A typical schedule might be- "ON 7 days/week from 6pm to 8am." Also, if I want to control the period of a time-lapse to a specific window each day, I plug in an intervalometer set to fire at the preferred interval, then I set the timer for the period of time each day (or night) I want the signal to reach the camera. The intervalometer fires continually at it's set interval but the signal only reaches the camera when the timer is ON. If, for instance, I want some night sky time-lapse, I might set the intervalometer to fire every 20 seconds, and set the timer to open from 10pm to midnight.

Here is a shot of the timer and some accessories that can be plugged into it. Note- the Micnova is not my standard PIR, but it does work. I'm building most of my units with Parallax PIR's. Both the Micnova and Satechi units have female 2.5mm cable ports.

From left to right: Nikon MC-DC2 cable, modified Favolcano timer, Micnova lightening/motion sensor, Satechi intervalometer.

Attachment:
CRSmarttTimer.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

https://www.instagram.com/caseysmarttphoto/
http://www.caseysmartt.com

Array

Post subject: Re: Timer Mod
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:29 am 
Emperor
Emperor

That is a real clever bit of innovation there Casey.

All times are