Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:45 am

All times are

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:59 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Two Asian leopards pass-by my Canon 600D

For the most part, I usually catch something interesting on my camera traps in the ‘Western Forest Complex’ of Thailand. This place is one of the last great Asian forests where rare wild cats like leopard and tiger still thrive plus many other cryptic animals like sambar, banteng, gaur and tapir living alongside the predators. It does not matter if the camera was set right or wrong. I still manage to get some good record shots of black and yellow phase leopards at this new location.

A black leopard on my birthday: May 19th at 1.49pm, exposure: 2.5 sec…a lucky catch…!

A yellow phased or spotted leopard on May 28th at 8.13am, exposure: 1/8 sec.

A spotted leopard on June 19th at 2.41pm, exposure: 0.3 sec.

A spotted leopard flashing by on May 28th, exposure: 0.6 sec.

I’m not sure how my 600D jumped from ‘Manual’ over to the ‘Tv’ setting (shutter speed priority) but the answer is obvious. I somehow moved the wheel and did not double check it before closing up the cam. So all the shots had very long exposures hence blurry and out-of-focus images. However, the proof that leopards do thrive at this location is still good news. And the bad news is:

Stolen Nikon D90 DSLR camera trap…!

My first DSLR camera trap; a Nikon D90 and SB400 flash with a Yeti’ board in a clear Plano box…!

After capturing leopards on my Canon 600D, I hated to pull it out but had no choice. When I set the Canon, I also set a Nikon D90 DSLR (shown above) in an ‘elephant proof’ box a little bit further down another well-used trail (about 100 meters away). After I checked the Canon, I went straight to the Nikon but it was gone. Someone had stolen it plus two Nikon SB-28 flashes and a SSII (Snapshotsniper) sensor. The complete rig had been taken including the ‘aluminum housings’ and all the hard-wiring. This is my third camera stolen in this ‘World Heritage Site’…!

I have no idea who it is but one thing for sure; it’s the same group that stole my Bushnell Trophy Cam video and ‘Fireman Jim’ 125 DXG video in another section of the sanctuary earlier this year. It means that someone has the special ‘power-torque’ wrench to open-up the ‘elephant proof’ housings, and a 17mm socket wrench (for the 3/8 X 3″ stainless lag bolts) to remove the aluminum boxes from the trees. The ‘power-torque’ wrench is only available at a few special tool shops in Bangkok, or it was found in the forest where I lost one awhile back. Needless to say, it’s back to the drawing board to beef up security of all my cams. I have a new design that will make it even harder to steal that I will post at a later date…!

:old

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:00 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Have you considered setting up another cam near your expensive cams? That way you will at least have photographic evidence of who it was. I think that it is "SPYCAM" who sell a reasonably priced cam that has a backup unit which you hide or even bury nearby it also stores images sent to it by the cam so even if you have the main camera and the other cam stolen you will still have the images of who the thief is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:40 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Great news on the cats but really bummer news on the stolen gear.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Great shots. Too bad about the stolen gear. May a fungus infect their genitals.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:35 am 
Royal
Royal

VERY bummed to learn about your camera theft - and at a world heritage site no less. Hope the thief(s) get caught and the word gets out. Makes me wonder what is going on over there - in that forest - that folks are willing to take such chances??? :tinkin GRRrrr! :wall :pullhare

Congratulations capturing presence of those awesome cats. :awesome
And, thanks for your honesty. It's good for us new guys to know that the camtrap masters occasionally make camera setting error's now and then too. It still happens to me on a semi-regular basis and I wonder how long until I finally make a checklist and check it twice before leaving a camera set. :oops

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:54 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Sorry to hear about the disappearance of your camera. Somebody got a nice rig -- unless they dumped it in a stream after taking it to get rid of evidence of some illicit activity.

Too bad about your photos too, but we all have senior moments (they seem to come more frequently now). I've forgotten the keys to the locks, left batteries and cards at home, forgotten to put a new card in the camera, and left the camera on "Review". Hopefully your new security set-up will let you put cameras back in the area with some expectation that they'll not be stolen. Unfortunately, there's no security system that a determined thief with enough time and the right tools can't defeat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:57 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks guys for the comments.....I will be beefing up my DSLR traps but also will be doing some extensive video around the setups....I do need to find out who the heck is stealing my stuff...I have an idea but still not positive yet...a work in progress...!!

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:48 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Sorry to hear about the thefts Bruce. Takes the wind out of a persons sails. Keep up the good work. I really enjoy seeing those cats you get photos of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:49 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

ghosthunters wrote:
Sorry to hear about the thefts Bruce. Takes the wind out of a persons sails. Keep up the good work. I really enjoy seeing those cats you get photos of.

Ghosthunter; Thanks for the comment...my sails were kinda blown out but I have stitched them back up again...I plan to go after these jokers...!!

All three of the cams stolen were close to the forest road...someone is driving in with those wrenches in their tool box....I have enough old 'dead dummy cams' so I can lay a trap...a remote sensor with several hidden videos will be the trick. All cams must be almost impossible to get off the tree...a work in progress as I mentioned earlier...

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:29 am 
Royal
Royal

tiger hunter wrote:
ghosthunters wrote:

Ghosthunter; Thanks for the comment...my sails were kinda blown out but I have stitched them back up again...I plan to go after these jokers...!!

All three of the cams stolen were close to the forest road...someone is driving in with those wrenches in their tool box....I have enough old 'dead dummy cams' so I can lay a trap...a remote sensor with several hidden videos will be the trick. All cams must be almost impossible to get off the tree...a work in progress as I mentioned earlier...

ghosthunters is spot on when he mentions how much he (we/all) enjoys seeing those cat photos. I definitely live vicariously - it doesn't get any better than those big forest cats in my book! :10

tiger hunter, Glad the sails are stitched back up too. I feel these jokers have a bit of a surprise coming to them if they think they're going to keep getting away with this level of monkey business. They have no idea who their dealing with. :old No doubt you'll set a 'tiger trap' that will do the trick. :hehehe

Woody, thanks for letting us in on your "senior moment stuff". I'm 51 now and must have a serious case of the seniors setting in. Will it ever get better? Or, should I begin to brace myself for the inevitable and just roll with it? :igive

All times are