Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:54 am

All times are

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:00 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

What do you some of you guys use, when there really is no tree to attach your camera housing to? I mean, some of these DSLR builds have the bigger bulkier cam housings, and just wondering what you use if no tree is available for the shot? I was thinking maybe I could just drive a steel rod into the ground, and figure out how to attach cam housing to that rod....

If you guys have any pics of your setups, that would be great.... thanks...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:53 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Attachment:
IMG_0600.JPG

I initially invested in ram mounts as my mounting solution but like you say there isn't always a tree to mount to or if there is, it isn't in the right spot. The picture shows a pelican 1300 with 1.5" ram ball, connected to 1.5" ram single socket arm (http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-200-1U) on a half inch threaded pipe found at the hardware store, which replaces the center post on the Mefoto Daytrip tripod. A very lightweight tripod that is easily packable. The case and camera is overweight for the tripod so it's not very stable but it's working for me so far.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:16 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

That is a pretty nice setup Anders. Do you use something similar for flashes than if no tree is around?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:37 am 
Emperor
Emperor

My main concern is theft so I need to keep python locks on everything , which only keep the honest thieves from stealing the cams. So no trees no camera for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:07 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I use a steel stake called a concrete stake; they're solid steel rods available from 18" to 3' long pointed on one end and with a series of holes drilled along their length on the other end. Like John, I won't put a camera out unless it's cable locked to something immobile; usually that's the trunk of a tree or large shrub but sometimes a large rock will do. I've used a cable with loops at both ends to effectively extend the length of a Python lock (using plastic-coated 5/16" cable and cable clamps to make the loops).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:54 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I usually mount my pelican case to a tripod. To stabilize the camera i prop heavy sticks or rocks. It wont prevent bears from flipping the set but it reduces vibration on windy days. I use stakes or tripods to hold the flash tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:35 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I use galvanized fence rail and Speed-Rail T-fittings. You can make an adjustable tripod or sawhorse this way. Great for steep slopes and can be made very stable. Speed-Rail system uses 3/8 screws that are compatible with ball heads so attaching a camera is easy. Also easy to add arms for off-camera flash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:32 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Nice setup, but isn't that a lot to carry with you out to the field?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:14 am 
Emperor
Emperor

My favorite stand is from Stic-n-pic. The three legged stand is the sturdiest and if I'm not packing it but a few miles I'd recommend this one first. But my favorite is the next size down. It is super sturdy, reasonably priced (I bought mine from Cabelas), easy to pack several in my day pack, and I hike in for miles with these. Having the flexibility to put them anywhere, except rocky ground, is fantastic.

http://store.sticnpic.com/product/stic- ... era-stand/

http://store.sticnpic.com/product/stic- ... und-mount/ (Favorite)

Photo of three legged stand:

Attachment:
ThreeLeggedStand.jpg

And my favorite two legged stand:

Attachment:
twoleggedstand_frontview.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.offthepavement.org

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:01 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Woody Meristem wrote:
I use a steel stake called a concrete stake; they're solid steel rods available from 18" to 3' long pointed on one end and with a series of holes drilled along their length on the other end. Like John, I won't put a camera out unless it's cable locked to something immobile; usually that's the trunk of a tree or large shrub but sometimes a large rock will do. I've used a cable with loops at both ends to effectively extend the length of a Python lock (using plastic-coated 5/16" cable and cable clamps to make the loops).

I use the same stake as Woody but I weld a 6"x1"x1/8" tab on the bottom to keep it from turning in the ground. To hold the camera I use a 1.5" RAM ball and short arm.

All times are