Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:32 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:25 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

mikuni wrote:
"Flash guns" made out of waste water pipe and end plugs. As camouflage the legs of the trousers that i used for the camera enclosure. The pipes are equipped with RAM mounts.

The flashes will be operated by Yongnou RF-603 II 's, sadly these just keep up for 2-3 days then the battery is gone. Have to upgrade to a batter mod of some sort. Rest of the system keeps up well for 4-5 days.
I haven't tested longer.

Thought I'd share this mod of the Yongnuo RF-603II's that I use to solve the battery issue. It doesn't really need any mod of the unit itself so it means you can always resume using them with the normal AAA batteries. This isn't exactly new as I borrowed it from elsewhere. I simply made up a number of 'battery eliminators' from some short pieces of round dowel some electrical crimp terminals bent to fold over the top of the dowel plus a small screw to attach to the dowel and some heat shrink to keep it all in place. The main wires and clip terminals can easily be sourced on line.

Finished battery eliminator (note, there are only terminals one each end of positive and negative terminals:
Attachment:
D500 -180326-68460.jpg

Close up on crimped on terminals:
Attachment:
D500 -180326-68462.jpg

In the RF-603II (the only mod to the units is to file a couple of half-round slots in the cover to let the wires out:
Attachment:
D500 -180326-68463.jpg

With AA battery option:
Attachment:
D500 -180326-68464.jpg

With other battery options:
Attachment:
D500 -180326-68465.jpg

The original AAA in body option with 750mAh, gives as you say 2-3 days in my experience too.
With the Amazon Basics high capacity AA's (Eneloop rebadged) it is 2400mAh - That gives me over a week now so may be enough to match the rest of your setup.
With the Eneloop type C cells (again low self discharge) that goes up to 5000mAh - I've found that's easily good two+ weeks so far (and in some of our sub zero celsius temps).
With the 6x AA shown, this goes up again to 3x2400mAh capacity or 7200mAh. - Looking like this will do at least 3 weeks may be 4 in the summer so long as it's not cold. That will meet my needs.

CAUTION TO ALL READERS (In case this is not obvious). Please note I've just shown a standard 6xAA holder DO NOT USE LIKE THIS. As bought this is wired in series so it would actually deliver 2400mAh at 9V which would be very bad for the RF603. Instead I've modified that 6 cell series into a 3x2AA unit with each 2 battery unit wired together in parallel. (The mod soldering is a bit tricky as the plastic holder melts at a low temp.) This gives the extra capacity at 3V. The package here is actually smaller in size than the 2 C holder and I've done this as I wanted to get a small battery package size into a waterproof box so I could convert the RF603 as a wireless transmitter from the IR sensor to camera to give a completely wireless setup (it won't do this as standard because there is no wired input socket to the RF603II to connect the sensor into). This takes a bit more substantial mod of the RF603II but it works very reliably when done and is really cheap.

You could of course also go to D cell rechargeables in a simple 2 battery holder but they step up a size again but (with the ODEC units I've been using) would give 10000mAh capacity. As long as space isn't an issue that neatly avoids the modification of battery holders.

The RF603IIs may not be the most power thrifty transceivers but I've found these to be very reliable and they are really cheap so I've been sticking to them.

HTH

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:41 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Thanks, that is a great idea.

All times are