Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:49 pm

All times are

Post subject: 3D Printed Flash Grids
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:43 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos on how to shoot portraits with flashes (since I have no experience in it). I found even with my SB28 flashes zoomed all of the way in, I was still lighting up the surroundings as much as the subject-and I really wanted to focus just on the subject. Many videos suggest using a honeycomb grid pattern on the flash which will help focus the light to a point.

A friend helped me get into building my own 3D printer, which has been an incredible experience. I designed my own grids and I'm now printing grids that slip in on the inside of my flash cases and initial experiments have been promising. I've been printing grids in mostly 3mm and 5mm depth. The thicker the depth of the grid, the more light that's blocked.

If anyone wants to give it a shot I can print you off a bunch of different depth grids and send them your way (free), just PM me with your address and what you'd like or just a random assortment. I'd be happy to make custom sizes or whatever is wanted-it's pretty easy to design, change the size, and print. They are made out of black PLA plastic. I haven't tested them at length in the field, so I can't say how they do under heat from repetitive flash cycles, etc, although the plastic melts at 180C so I think it should be alright. They do degrade in UV light over time but should be pretty robust based then the printing methods, structure, and thickness. I will post results when I have tested them extensively in the field but that might be a couple weeks.

The grids below are size 54mm high and 87mm wide (2.12598 high X 3.4252inches), but I can easily print most sizes:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:56 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Good on you Greengrass to think outside the box, share those ideas with us and go a step further by that generous offer :awesome

I'm very interested in the results of your findings and be sure to keep us up to date with them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:03 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I second that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:17 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Great idea, do you have any pictures of them in use?

All times are