Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:22 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:38 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hey!

I've recently been working on my own DSLR camera trap setup. Right now I have a Nikon d5200, and three flashes - a Nikon sb-24 and two cheaper Nikon Sb-50dx's.

I had purchased a relatively inexpensive wireless flash trigger kit with a transmitter and three receivers. It worked great, but only if the flashes were already "awake" and ready when the shutter was released. I'm running into the problem of waking the flashes quick enough to fire on the first shutter release.

While testing my setup before leaving it, I noticed sometimes the not all the flashes would go off, if at all. (particularly the two sb-50dx's) I thought maybe it was just a coincidence, and hoped it wouldn't happen if something was detected. In the morning, I found the camera had taken a photo late in the night, but only the sb-24 went off, resulting in a mostly black image.

In the morning, I experimented and found after a certain amount of time the sb-d50dx's would fall asleep and not wake up quick enough when needed.

Do you think the problem is the flashes, the wireless flash trigger, or both? I know some flash triggers send wake-up signals. Is that all I need to make sure I have?

Any advice would be great!

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:12 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Most of the cheap flash trigger do not provide the wake signal to the flash so the flash will wake on the first shutter activation and fire on the second. I am not familiar with the SB-50dx but does it have a sleep mode like the SB-24? Connect each flash to your camera one at a time. Let the camera and flash go to sleep. Then press the shutter button half way down. Do they wake up? If so, then find a trigger that will wake the flash.

I have been using the Phottix Strato II Multi with success over the summer. Looking forward to winter temps to see how they perform.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:54 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

TRLcam wrote:
Most of the cheap flash trigger do not provide the wake signal to the flash so the flash will wake on the first shutter activation and fire on the second. I am not familiar with the SB-50dx but does it have a sleep mode like the SB-24? Connect each flash to your camera one at a time. Let the camera and flash go to sleep. Then press the shutter button half way down. Do they wake up? If so, then find a trigger that will wake the flash.

I have been using the Phottix Strato II Multi with success over the summer. Looking forward to winter temps to see how they perform.

Ok, thanks for the advice! Yes, all three have sleep mode. I tested each one like you said.

I looked up the Phottix Strato II Multi on Amazon.com they have a transmitter and receiver package for $110 and additional receivers for $65 each. Definitely, a bit more than I was hoping to have to spend with my budget... I wouldn't mind maybe trying to purchase just the transmitter and receiver initially, and putting the receiver on the sb-24 and using the SB-50dx's as slave flashes. I know this could limit the lighting arrangement a bit, but it might be good alternative to keep the cost down. And then I could always upgrade and purchase additional receivers in the future. (Because of course, upgrades always end up happening :laughing )

Do you use multiple receivers/flashes?

Happy Thanksgiving BTW!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:59 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Maybe have a look at this post..............viewtopic.php?f=113&t=11421&p=93532&hilit=Commlite+ComTrig+T32#p93532

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:21 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I use the Cowboy Studio poppers. Super cheap, get about 2 weeks on receiver batteries. Like most others units, can solder in some extra power if needed. Never had any issues with them other than range seems slightly less than higher priced units (not an issue for close c-trap work). They wake sleeper on first pop, fire on subsequent, nice compact size on both the receiver and transmitter units. Normally my setups fire 2 or 3 shots per sensor trigger to cover the "sleeper" situation.

https://www.instagram.com/caseysmarttphoto/
http://www.caseysmartt.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:19 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

westcocanuck2 wrote:

Hey, thanks! I did see these a couple times. Just was never keen on the idea of ordering directly from China...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:25 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Gartooth wrote:
I use the Cowboy Studio poppers. Super cheap, get about 2 weeks on receiver batteries. Like most others units, can solder in some extra power if needed. Never had any issues with them other than range seems slightly less than higher priced units (not an issue for close c-trap work). They wake sleeper on first pop, fire on subsequent, nice compact size on both the receiver and transmitter units. Normally my setups fire 2 or 3 shots per sensor trigger to cover the "sleeper" situation.

Thanks, for the advice!

I had originally purchased these flash triggers from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/pangshi-Channel- ... gger&psc=1.

From the surface they look identical to the Cowboy Studio ones. I wouldn't be surprised if they're essentially the same product. Now I wish I hadn't returned them. (I did because they didn't wake the flashes up on the first try.) Now I want to re-try them and just fire 2 or 3 shots.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:06 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

What Cowboy Studio version would be best for Nikon SB-28?

Also what model Commlite ComTrig from EBay be best for the Nikon SB-28's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:09 pm 
Galapagos
Galapagos

I did it just a little differently. I'm using Sony A6000 cameras, Pixel Rook flash triggers setup for Nikon cameras and Nikon Sb-28 flash units. Also my sensor is either the Safari or Gamewatcher boards by Ralph Davis.
I programmed the sensor to sent a wake-up signal to both the flash units and camera one second before starting the photo sequence. The wireless transmitter has a 3.5mm phonojack plug which is a three wire setup. One common, a wake-up wire and a trigger wire. Works pretty good, but often the first photo will still be dark.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:10 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I use the Camtraptions radio trigger, gets 1 week off its AAA's, 3 weeks if you add a 2 pack of AA's in parallel, have them rigged up with D cells right now for a longer set. Wakes a Nikon flash from a Canon body, hard to beat.
J

All times are