Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:28 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:32 am 
Emperor
Emperor

JonnyA wrote:
I use the Camtraptions radio trigger, gets 1 week off its AAA's, 3 weeks if you add a 2 pack of AA's in parallel, have them rigged up with D cells right now for a longer set. Wakes a Nikon flash from a Canon body, hard to beat.
J

A striking resemblance between the two right down to the specs.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:03 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Will's version provides a secure way to add external power without soldering and potentially damaging the unit--that's a vast improvement. I buy from him at full price (Have about 15 of these), which is not at all expensive for what you get, because I want to support folks who are working to support this hobby that we all love. Why burn the guy to save a few bucks?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:40 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Woooa, this has gone the wrong way here :igive I read your previous reply about the camtraptions unit and had a look at them, specs and all. I thought boy they sure do look the same as another brand but noticeably more money. I quoted your post because that unit was the topic of my reply. My point was that they are very likely two of the same and I would bet money on it that both are made in China. A pictorial side by side comparison of the two with the following comment: A striking resemblance between the two right down to the specs. Was my way of emphasizing that point to the readers. My apologies for the way that it came across.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:34 am 
Emperor
Emperor

no worries

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:07 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

west5trapper wrote:
Hey!

I've recently been working on my own DSLR camera trap setup. Right now I have a Nikon d5200, and three flashes - a Nikon sb-24 and two cheaper Nikon Sb-50dx's.

I had purchased a relatively inexpensive wireless flash trigger kit with a transmitter and three receivers. It worked great, but only if the flashes were already "awake" and ready when the shutter was released. I'm running into the problem of waking the flashes quick enough to fire on the first shutter release.

While testing my setup before leaving it, I noticed sometimes the not all the flashes would go off, if at all. (particularly the two sb-50dx's) I thought maybe it was just a coincidence, and hoped it wouldn't happen if something was detected. In the morning, I found the camera had taken a photo late in the night, but only the sb-24 went off, resulting in a mostly black image.

In the morning, I experimented and found after a certain amount of time the sb-d50dx's would fall asleep and not wake up quick enough when needed.

Do you think the problem is the flashes, the wireless flash trigger, or both? I know some flash triggers send wake-up signals. Is that all I need to make sure I have?

Any advice would be great!

Any suggestions?

I know a bit of time has passed since your original post but thought I’d drop a note on a recent experience. I’ve been using ‘cheap wireless triggers’ for a while. Yongnuo RF 603’s in my case. I recently changed my trapping camera to a D3300 and experienced some triggering problems, missing the wake up and thus only firing on the second shot. I thought it was a problem with the camera settings as the trigger unit had been working on a previous D90 and two other ‘bigger’ Nikons.

After mucking about for a couple of hours wondering why the new camera couldn’t wake the flashes I found that the trigger unit wasn’t quite seating properly on the hot shoe. If i pulled it back a tiny bit (no more than 0.5mm) it all seated properly and the wake / flash worked as previously with no missed shots.

I spotted this because a LED on the hotshoe flash and the flash gun units wasn’t working quite the way I remembered.

I now think the hotshoe tolerances are a bit different on the ‘consumer’ bodies than on the top end bodies (they look slightly simpler in finishing). Combined with a fairly utilitarian foot on the trigger unit this seems to cause a problem with the connection that issues the wake signal on Nikon’s flashes.

I now double check before screwing down the hotshoe lock. My usual technique of pushing the trigger unit fully home in the hotshoe caused the problem consistently on this body.

I wonder if you were having a similar issue. Might be worth a fiddle!

All times are