Fledgling
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 3:11 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:43 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

anjani.singamane wrote:
west5trapper wrote:
I have a Nikon sb-24. They're a nice affordable flash (I think I got mine for less than $65). I like how it works, but haven't had my trap out for longer than 24hr, so can't give an accurate battery run time. I also have two nikon sb-50dx's. They're super cheap but only have one (full) power setting. I just use diffusers to dampen the light output.

Is there any way you could add more battery power to the flash you have now? I know a lot of people on this forum do that. Hopefully, some of them pitch in to give their advice on that.
Thanks you west :) sb-24 looks good option .. is it running 24hrs with stock Battries ? How is the recycle time on this

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Yes, it is it does 24hr! I haven't made any modifications to it. I was using it last night and I was strobing it at 1/4 power, every 1/10 secs. So recycle time is plenty fast enough for my purpose. I plan on picking up at least two more to replace my nikon sb-50dx's.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:11 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

west5trapper wrote:
anjani.singamane wrote:
west5trapper wrote:
I have a Nikon sb-24. They're a nice affordable flash (I think I got mine for less than $65). I like how it works, but haven't had my trap out for longer than 24hr, so can't give an accurate battery run time. I also have two nikon sb-50dx's. They're super cheap but only have one (full) power setting. I just use diffusers to dampen the light output.

Is there any way you could add more battery power to the flash you have now? I know a lot of people on this forum do that. Hopefully, some of them pitch in to give their advice on that.
Thanks you west :) sb-24 looks good option .. is it running 24hrs with stock Battries ? How is the recycle time on this

Yes, it is it does 24hr! I haven't made any modifications to it. I was using it last night and I was strobing it at 1/4 power, every 1/10 secs. So recycle time is plenty fast enough for my purpose. I plan on picking up at least two more to replace my nikon sb-50dx's.
Hey thanks west .. any feedback on 50dx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:43 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Well, as far as the 50dx's go. I'll list the pros and cons.

Pros:
1. They're very cheap! (I got mine for about $35 each)
2. They're also pretty bright. (which can be good or bad...)
3. They get the job done. :D
4. Battery life seems pretty good. (I bought rechargeable batteries for them. I can't give you an accurate run time, but I'd guess maybe somewhere around 24hr at least)
5. Wide angle of light. (Zooms out to 14mm with built in diffuser)

Cons:
1. Only one (full) power setting. (I recommend using diffusers to dampen and soften the light)
2. Slow recycle time. (around 3-4 secs at least probably)
3. Don't wake up, at first trigger. (To fix this problem I shoot a burst of 3+ photos. The first photo it will not wake up these flashes quick enough, but they will fire the second time. The long recycle time, prevents them from being able to fire for any immediate photos after that.)
4. Just a bit limiting overall...

In my opinion, I would opt to get one sb-24, instead of getting two sb-50dx's. I regret not doing that myself, and plan on upgrading to one or two additional sb-24's later on...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:50 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

west5trapper wrote:

Pros:
4. Battery life seems pretty good. (I bought rechargeable batteries for them. I can't give you an accurate run time, but I'd guess maybe somewhere around 24hr at least)

Cons:
1. Only one (full) power setting. (I recommend using diffusers to dampen and soften the light)
3. Don't wake up, at first trigger. (To fix this problem I shoot a burst of 3+ photos. The first photo it will not wake up these flashes quick enough, but they will fire the second time. The long recycle time, prevents them from being able to fire for any immediate photos after that.)

In my opinion, I would opt to get one sb-24, instead of getting two sb-50dx's. I regret not doing that myself, and plan on upgrading to one or two additional sb-24's later on...
Hey west ..thanks for details review .
Great help :)

I found a 80dx in local market .. picked it up ..just got it ...let's see how it goes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:11 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

anjani.singamane wrote:
west5trapper wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

Hey west ..thanks for details review .
Great help :)

I found a 80dx in local market .. picked it up ..just got it ...let's see how it goes

Oh, nice! Hopefully it works out for you! I'm not familiar with the 80dx, but from what I saw from a web search, it seems like it will work pretty well. Good luck to you, and happy trapping!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:48 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Pixel never updated the firmware. :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:39 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

TRLcam wrote:
Pixel never updated the firmware. :(
Thanks TRL .. hope there is a solution with these third party flashes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:31 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

The company Cognysis is planning to make a replacement for the SB-28, but I think it's gonna be a lot more $ than a SB-28; unfortunately I'd imagine it's probably pretty hard to custom make a flash for camera trappers and be able to break even without a high price -- or high compared to a used SB-28, probably cheaper than a new Nikon SB 5000

I wish there was a way to get Lumopro to change their LP-180 -- that flash is really solid and actually built for lighting photogs, it's my go-to when I'm not camera trapping.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:31 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

JonnyA wrote:
The company Cognysis is planning to make a replacement for the SB-28, but I think it's gonna be a lot more $ than a SB-28; unfortunately I'd imagine it's probably pretty hard to custom make a flash for camera trappers and be able to break even without a high price -- or high compared to a used SB-28, probably cheaper than a new Nikon SB 5000

I wish there was a way to get Lumopro to change their LP-180 -- that flash is really solid and actually built for lighting photogs, it's my go-to when I'm not camera trapping.
JonnyA .. first of all leeme tell you ..I'm a Big fan .. u r images have been giving me some sleepless nights .. phew mental stuff

About cognysis building a sb28 kind of flash ..would be looking forward to that but I'm sure pricing would be much more than used sb28 as the economics of smaller scale production might not justify the cost ..let's see

www.anjanikumar.net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:03 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

İ was using pixel mago and x800c with eneloop batteries before i own sb28 and dx ...pixel with eneloop goes almost 15 days in sleep mode and 1/16 1/32 level , Your first Shutter for the wake and the second You get pic first curtain sync if enough power left in the battery.if you use rear curtain sync they wake but your subject runs by hearing click sound..also pixel lose power day by day, i had many black images with pixel and so many disapointments..then i own sb28 , i ask myself why i didnt own this before..otherwise pixels can be best used for 2-3 days set in my opinion..

All times are