Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 9:17 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:10 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Thanks everyone for your advice! I'll probably do some searches in the forum to look at older post relevant to this topic. I guess it really all comes down to how much of a risk your willing to take, and where you draw the line.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:37 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I sign my sets. I warn that the area is being monitored and that vandals/thieves won't be tolerated. I also encourage people to call to learn more about the projects. Since incorporating the signs, I haven't had any problems. That being said, once someone has stumbled on to my set I don't press my luck. I move it post hoste.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:57 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

One other thing, I've made up a label for a fictitious company that uses GPS tracking to recover stolen items and put one of those labels on every camera trap. Hopefully, it would keep someone from stealing a camera, but if they did take one it would probably make them really nervous.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:48 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Woody Meristem wrote:
One other thing, I've made up a label for a fictitious company that uses GPS tracking to recover stolen items and put one of those labels on every camera trap. Hopefully, it would keep someone from stealing a camera, but if they did take one it would probably make them really nervous.

That's a good idea! Before starting this post, I had the idea of posting signs that said something along the lines of: "Please do not disturb. Important study of wildlife behavior in progress. This area and equipment is being remotely monitored." (as though their was a live streaming camera somewhere).

GPS tracking would be a good idea too... :laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:53 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

ArthurV wrote:
I sign my sets. I warn that the area is being monitored and that vandals/thieves won't be tolerated. I also encourage people to call to learn more about the projects. Since incorporating the signs, I haven't had any problems. That being said, once someone has stumbled on to my set I don't press my luck. I move it post hoste.

I did have that idea too! I wondered if signs would draw more attention though... (at least in my situation) I want my setup to be as low-key as possible, so if I put up signs I'd probably put them close to my set-up and mounted at low heights, so you'd only see them if you got close enough to actually see the trap.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:33 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I agree that signs are a very good deterrent and have had very good success with them in the past. Placing the signs well before my camera on all trails leading to it. I wouldn't want to place a sign anywhere within a stone's throw of my camera, just to be safe. I also believe that ArthurV's approach to the educational side of what he does is spot on with my way of thinking.

This is a very good post with us all exchanging ideas on how to combat this never-ending problem. I hope that we hear more from other members on how they deal with this.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:58 am 

If you have cell service a wireless cell camera is an option as well. It not only can keep an eye on your cameras but can tell you if you have gotten any pics without you having to go disturb the area checking the memory card. I'm currently running 8 Spartan cell cams and it's nice to have them especially when you are testing a camera that belongs to someone else.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:06 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

johnnydeerhunter wrote:
If you have cell service a wireless cell camera is an option as well. It not only can keep an eye on your cameras but can tell you if you have gotten any pics without you having to go disturb the area checking the memory card. I'm currently running 8 Spartan cell cams and it's nice to have them especially when you are testing a camera that belongs to someone else.

That's a excellent idea! It is a bit pricey for my budget, but it'd definitely be a good investment and help give some peace of mind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:25 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I've never had anyone mess with my SLR camera traps and I don't lock them up or put signs on them (only because I'm too lazy). I get pictures of hikers/hunters now and then. On the other hand, I put out trial cameras for research and they get stolen all the time. Strangely folks seem way more likely to steal a trail cam than a DSLR rig worth 10-x more, but I think that's cause they can immediately recognize what a trail cam is and there's some mystery surrounding a DSLR rig and whether it's gonna be of use to a thief and what the risks of stealing it are.

I alway avoid setting on public land game trails where I anticipate people being, and I am really careful about setting during hunting season, when the # of people wandering around off trail probably goes way up (but maybe not).

One encouraging thing is to think about this in terms of joint probability: Chance of losing camera = prob. of person finding your camera X prob. of person stealing it. If both probabilities are low, it's gonna take you a lot of sets to lose a camera and by then you'll have spent more money on gas than the price of the camera.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:30 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

İ set then return home until morming in busy points , i will try overnight in the car in that kind of places..some places that of people has great moral values i dont need even hiding my set ..now i set in wildlife development zone which naturally bordered with river, concerns reduce / rise place to place but never zero level, i think it is an instinct ...

All times are