Fledgling
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 8:39 am

All times are

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:40 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hi All,

Got my first rig set up last night.
D3200, home made PIR trigger with programmed Arduino (3 triggers per event, .5 secs between and 5 sec delay after last one to allow flash to recharge), Cowboy Studio wireless triggers and a single sb-28.
Camera settings were f9, 1/200 and ISO 400 . Kit lens at 18mm.
Flash was 1/4, ISO400, and F9.

Locations was the base of a tree, which has been dug by a Fox, i know because i used my ebay special trail camera a few night ago and caught it. So i set the above up at the base of the tree hoping for a low angle shot.

For some reason, the camera battery was fully dead this morning, after the shot below.

i think i got the settings ok, as i'm happy with the lighting on the image.
I am sure the camera was set to auto off meter, so not sure why it died?

Gutted that it decided to stop after the test image.

Any ideas?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:11 am 
Emperor
Emperor

If your camera is going into sleep mode, you have two other culprits: your sensor could be continuously "waking" the camera or your battery is dying prematurely. I have used D3200s extensively and have been relatively impressed with the battery life. However, I did have one faulty battery that I couldn't rely on. Notably, it was one of the newer, supposedly better batteries, that come with the d3300.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:50 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Did you possibly use live view to set up the camera and then not turn that off?

Alternatively, are you sure there is nothing in your connection to the camera preventing it going into sleep mode? The most obvious one is having the focus connection continuously ‘made’. That keeps the camera awake. (You probably noticed that both focus and shutter need to be made to fire the shutter.)

Both the above will run down the camera battery.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:50 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's the sensor. Fully charged the battery and just put it out again. Fingers crossed it lasts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:52 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

RichardB wrote:
Did you possibly use live view to set up the camera and then not turn that off?

Alternatively, are you sure there is nothing in your connection to the camera preventing it going into sleep mode? The most obvious one is having the focus connection continuously ‘made’. That keeps the camera awake. (You probably noticed that both focus and shutter need to be made to fire the shutter.)

Both the above will run down the camera battery.

I have an optocoupler between the arduino and the shutter/focus wires so it shouldn't be continually "made" as far as I aware?
I know we did link the focus and ground together as per instructions, so the wires coming from the camera to the optocoupler are "shutter" and "focus/ground".
I think the culprit may have been a battery that wasn't charged.
I did use live view to set up, but switched it off after I think.
Let's see what happens overnight and go from there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:01 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

So after being out for 3 hours, now the flash seemed to have died!When I walked past the sensor a few times when checking on it, it didn't fire any flashes (camera was firing though) then it fired 1 (instead of 3 flashes).
I took it all inside, and the flash seems to be fine and has battery!
I guess this could be the CS triggers? Thinking I may not have sat them in properly and screw them down so it isn't waking them up? As i did two test triggers when I set it up and it fired all 3 flashes as programmed on the sensor.

Also I think the camera wiring could be an issue, as on another thread TRL cam noted that all 3 wires from the camera must be connected individually, not merging them into 2?
This camera trapping is tricky!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:56 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

That is correct. On Nikon cameras the shutter and metering lines must be separate. If you grounded the metering line, the camera and flash will not sleep. So battery life on both will be short. If you want to connect the shutter and metering use two small signal diodes to isolate each. But the best way is to use two optocouplers and program your controller to wake the camera and flash about 500ms before shutter click.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:11 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

TRLcam wrote:
That is correct. On Nikon cameras the shutter and metering lines must be separate. If you grounded the metering line, the camera and flash will not sleep. So battery life on both will be short. If you want to connect the shutter and metering use two small signal diodes to isolate each. But the best way is to use two optocouplers and program your controller to wake the camera and flash about 500ms before shutter click.

Thanks for the info.
I will order another optocoupler, then the fun task of wiring and programming. Maybe the flash was intermittent because it was running low on battery.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:09 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Doublecheck the diagram on the PIR post- keep ground separate from Shutter and meter wires.

https://www.instagram.com/caseysmarttphoto/
http://www.caseysmartt.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:28 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I found my Canon lithium ion batteries were not up to the task of cold weather use and would not last the night when the temps dipped below freezing. I started using a dummy battery and SLA battery to give me weeks of cold-weather use.

All times are