Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:39 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:16 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

JB-

Nice! Yeah I really think the two sensor rig, harnessing the low power draw of a PIR would be great, but I have to restrain myself from fiddling with electronics right now. How did the range IR work as a camera trap trigger?

I've had the Scout out in the field since Thanksgiving and it appears to be a winner, some bizarre design features, but solid so far -- been able to run the camera off just the internal battery for >1 month because there are no falses.

cheers
J

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:24 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

JonnyA wrote:
Nice work! Excited to hear how it works out.

Do you think it would work to add a PIR and only turn on the IR emitter after the PIR detects motion, maybe for a 1 min. period? I was thinking this could be a solution to the power consumption of active IR and the issue that some of them have with rain/snow/bugs causing false triggers. If I could make my Eltima Jokie units sip power and not false in rain they would be the perfect trigger.

cheers
Jonny
Great Idea JonnyA ..
I'm currently working on Stinky's design.. works great but Batteries 18650x4 don't last more than 3 days ..

The idea of two sensors is just great ..thanks a ton .. will work on this ..let's see how it goes

www.anjanikumar.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:41 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Gartooth wrote:
That could be done. Could run output from an onboard PIR to transistor to control power to AIR. Would solve the power issue and help with false trigger (although it never rains or snows here). :-).

With dip switches, one could also control sensor combos as one, other, or both.

Hmm... You could put the PIR on both units for overlapping protection and maximum battery savings, or just put it on the main battery hog- the AIR transmitter.

Attachment:
Arduino Pro Mini Wireless AIR PIR Transmitter Circuit.png

Attachment:
Arduino Pro Mini Wireless AIR-PIR Camera Trigger Circuit.png
Great stuff ..thanks for the design ..awesome work ..

www.anjanikumar.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:06 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Gartooth wrote:
Just finished up an interesting build- active infrared beam break unit that fires camera wirelessly and can be set to take photos or video. The units essentially create an IR trip wire. It is certainly not new technology, but from a build standpoint it is new to me.

The housings are inexpensive 1" electrical junction boxes which I have quickly grown to like and will be using on some basic PIR units too. The guts contain a set of 5V active IR emitter/receivers. The IR emitter is power hungry. I placed a 40 ohm resistor on emitter side to slow down the bleeding and save some battery life... we'll see how well that works. My meter showed it cut the mA by 2/3, but the field test has yet to be performed. Range is still greater than 15 ft.

When the beam is broken, the receiver unit sends an active low pulse to an Arduino Pro Mini and the Mini responds according to the sketch written to it. The Mini is nice little microcontroller unit because there are plenty of pins and it only draws 5mA. There are low power sketches that can be added but I haven't gotten there yet. 4 AA's power each of the units.

The Arduino is outfitted with header pins so additional sketches can be added when needed via USB cable to FTDI connector. A small panel of dip switches controls the sketch behavior by changing high/low status of various pins. The signal from the Arduino outputs to a radio transmitter (pulled from Oppilas) and the Oppilas transmitter fires to an Oppilas receiver plugged into the camera. I have used the Oppilas on many builds and like them a lot.

Currently I have 4 basic options on the Arduino sketch- 2 photos or 3 photos or 10 second video or 20 second video. The video feature works on Nikons (and Canons I think... I don't run any) like the D3300 or D7200 where the camera shutter button can start/stop video. There is an interesting bit of code included in the Arduino sketch that prevents the receiver from continuing to fire if the units are pushed or interrupted permanently (livestock, wild hogs, coons, tree limbs, etc...) or if the emitter battery dies and the receive "thinks" the beam is broken.

Next step is a little camo and 1" Ram balls on the bottom of the units.

This build stretched my brain. From programming the Arduino, to configuring the units, to the wireless hack... it was a tough one. But it is one I have wanted to do for a long time and I am hoping it solves some challenges inherent to PIR's.

I'm pretty stoked to get this thing out in the field.

Attachment:
Beam break 1.jpg

Attachment:
Beam break 2.jpg

Attachment:
Arduino Pro Mini Wireless AIR Receiever Circuit.png
Gartooth .. can u pls explain the 40 oh resistor part .. Did you cut open the sensor ? Can u pls help on how did u connect this 40 oh resistor on transmitter side

www.anjanikumar.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:50 am 
Royal
Royal

Fantastic build and info share! This is really amazing!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:36 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Ran the Wireless Active IR unit for 48 hours and had no false triggers. Everything seemed to run fine and the unit collected a bunch of photos of local visitors. The set is on a cane break between a landfill and an industrial facility (it's actually more "wild" than it sounds). I was hoping to capture a bobcat family frequenting the trail. Missed them but got some other shots. The variety of visitors included some feral critters.

Nikon d7000, 1/200, f11, ISO 200, 2 sb-28's
AIR beam break trigger fires 2 shots each time it is triggered.

Attachment:
Wireless AIR cane break set.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_4189.jpg

Attachment:
D7K_4596.jpg

Attachment:
D7K_4604.jpg

Attachment:
D7K_4617.jpg

Attachment:
D7K_4705.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

https://www.instagram.com/caseysmarttphoto/
http://www.caseysmartt.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:19 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Gartooth wrote:
Ran the Wireless Active IR unit for 48 hours and had no false triggers. Everything seemed to run fine and the unit collected a bunch of photos of local visitors. The set is on a cane break between a landfill and an industrial facility (it's actually more "wild" than it sounds). I was hoping to capture a bobcat family frequenting the trail. Missed them but got some other shots. The variety of visitors included some feral critters.

Nikon d7000, 1/200, f11, ISO 200, 2 sb-28's
AIR beam break trigger fires 2 shots each time it is triggered.

Attachment:
Wireless AIR cane break set.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_4189.jpg

Attachment:
D7K_4596.jpg

Attachment:
D7K_4604.jpg

Attachment:
D7K_4617.jpg

Attachment:
D7K_4705.jpg
Awesome set up .. great job Gartooth

www.anjanikumar.net

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:32 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

LOL love that cat shot Gartooth!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:01 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Great looking units Casey...should do well for exact triggering...the raccoon and skunk are neat...!!

:old

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:59 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks! Going to try to get this unit back out in the field this weekend.

https://www.instagram.com/caseysmarttphoto/
http://www.caseysmartt.com

All times are