Fledgling
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:51 am

All times are

Post subject: Australia's East Coast
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:07 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hi everyone,

Just finished my Australian East Coast drive (about 4000mi). Although I covered some territory, I can't really say it was as successful as it could have been. Underwater photography was not an option. The entire 2000 miles of coast was windblown and washed out, much too dirty to bother. Either that or the dive trips I wanted to do were well and truly booked out. The streams and rivers were either too low and tannin stained or high and flooded. I did a very small amount of underwater photography in very bad conditions out of sheer desperation near the end of the trip.

None of my mammal sets worked very well, only getting native Melomys and Uromys (though the Uromys is quite rare and barely known... it is still a rat!)
ImageMasked white tailed rat (Uromys hadrourus) by Nathan Litjens, on Flickr

Below is a Melomys:
ImageFawn footed melomys (Melomys cervinipes) by Nathan Litjens, on Flickr

Both of the rats shown were on Quoll sets. No Quolls showed up at all.

In the tropical North I did manage a handheld of a Daintree River Ringtail Possum. They are cute though they have a distant, disconnected look about them:

ImageDaintree river ringtail possum (Pseudochirulus cinereus) by Nathan Litjens, on Flickr

Most of my trapping efforts after not getting any activity on larger mammals were aimed at bats. And they did deliver:

Is there a cuter bat than this northern blossom bat from the Daintree?

ImageNorthern blossom bat (Macroglossus minumus) by Nathan Litjens, on Flickr

The blossom bats proved difficult until I bit the bullet and tried to photograph them on banana plants. The other trees they are normally on, for some reason did not attract them. I couldn't figure out why. Bats would fly into the beam, fly out and not trigger the camera. When I waved a stick through it, the camera fired right away! As it turned out I had forgotten to disable the auto power off! Once that was resolved, I ended up with one good photo. I tried to get the abundant tube nosed bats that were everywhere around the massive banyan figs, but not one triggered the camera. Would have been great. Below is my setup for the blossom bats. The umbrella was to protect from the frequent downpours.

ImageBlossom bat setup by Nathan Litjens, on Flickr

Further south I was given a coordinate for a bat cave, and this one did not disappoint.

An Eastern Horseshoe Bat entering the cave:
ImageEastern Horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus megaphyllus) by Nathan Litjens, on Flickr

And one exiting the cave:

ImageEastern Horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus megaphyllus) by Nathan Litjens, on Flickr

An Eastern Cave Bat:

ImageEastern Cave Bat (Vespadelus troughtoni) by Nathan Litjens, on Flickr

The setup I used was a vertical beam connected to the flashes, holding the camera shutter open on BULB until it got some action, them repeating. Lots of throwaway images but plenty of keepers.

I did manage to get a high priority species on handheld just north of Sydney. The Broad Toed Feathertail Glider is the smallest gliding possum, able to fit in a matchbox. So tiny and so damn cute. He landed in a shrub right next to me, as if a gift from above. Greatly appreciated:

ImageBroad toed feathertail glider (Acrobates frontalis) by Nathan Litjens, on Flickr

ImageBroad toed feathertail glider (Acrobates frontalis) by Nathan Litjens, on Flickr

Other than that, you can see my images from the trip on this album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126002448@N02/with/39453892722/

See my gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126002448@N02/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:32 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Very, very nice photos! I can see why you say the possum has a distant look -- even though its eye placement looks like it would have binocular vision, the eyes' pupils appear to be aimed in different directions like someone who has extropia.

Array

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:56 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Simply stunning photos. Well done sir!

Blessings........Pastorjim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:34 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Truly some incredible work! very much enjoyed looking and reading through, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:40 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Wonderful photos. You've got some very neat critters down under.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:22 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Some unique animals and great photos of them. The bats were a standout with a nice setup. Excellent .. great share ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:45 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Absolutely beautiful images. I especially like the lighting in the first two. The soft light and faint background gives a really nice dimension and mood. :-)

https://www.instagram.com/caseysmarttphoto/
http://www.caseysmartt.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:32 am 
Royal
Royal

Wow!!! Great images made with your ingenious sets!

All times are