Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:48 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:18 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I love these double sensor designs folks are making and it got me thinking of something that probably wouldn't work but curious what you think. What if you had your camera work like an old school compact camera, where when you power it on the lens cover automatically opens. So you have a PIR going to microcontroller and when it senses something, it starts a motor to open a window on your housing that you shoot through, then a second sensor triggers shutter. Not sure how tricky this would be to rig up, but it's the only solution I can think of for the current situation I am in, where I need to do long term sets but precip. and fog make it really hard to keep the lens clean. I was looking at dew heaters, but this actually seems simpler than leaving a solar powered heater in the woods, but no idea what it takes to have garage door of sorts on your Pelican case.... Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:13 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I have had fog and dew problem too in the wet jungles I work...I have been using an anti-fog lens cream from Arlington, Texas that really works....it keeps moisture on the lens down to a minimum....I'll send you the address later today...!

:old

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:40 am 
Royal
Royal

tiger hunter wrote:
I have had fog and dew problem too in the wet jungles I work...I have been using an anti-fog lens cream from Arlington, Texas that really works....it keeps moisture on the lens down to a minimum....I'll send you the address later today...!

Interested as well ... ;-)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:41 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

when the power it on and len automatically opens, would it scared the animal?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:21 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Yeah it'd have to be quiet; probably not realistic with a cheap motor of some sort... n\ Problem for me is I really like to have lights in front of the camera and I find that if I shoot through any sort of filter or glass window I can't do this, I get weird, unpleasant lens flare. It'd be great if an anti-fog coating would work; I'd have to put it straight on my lens through and I'm not sure whether it would flare if you shoot light at it... My unrealistic dream is to have my camera in a sealed container that only opens when a critter is around, so I can have the camera in a closed housing, and not shoot through glass. I will probably need to train a ferret to do this for me, it could eat deer mouse before they false trigger as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:02 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

JonnyA and the Theoutdoorsman: the anti-fog cream is from 'World Optical' from Hurst, Texas and is $11.95 for one fluid ounce that will last a long time...take a lens paper and rub a bit on the lens...then buff with a soft cloth...I have been using this stuff for over 10 years...it will not wear the coating on the lens or filter...and it will keep the lens from fogging up...give it a try...he's on the web under www.world-opticalproducts.com...!! Give it a try...I swear by the stuff and will not set a camera trap without applying this to the lens...!!

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:15 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

As I am currently struggling with the fog/mist issues

These are the things I'm planning and building on
1) not to make the pelican case air tight , and have 2x 1/2 inch L joints one on top and one in the bottom facing downwards .. may be this would help in air circulation and keeping the temperature same both inside and out side the housing .. this should help in reducing the condensation
2) I'm planning to reduce the volume of air within the housing , may be cut a camera shape slot on thermocol and insert into the pelican case or just stuff empty space with thermocol
3) silica gel or absobia pouches inside the housing
4) anti fog gel both lens and filter on the housing

I guess there will be a trade off of not making it air tight as termites could be an issues, .. may be we can use a termite spray

You guys think this will work ?? Any suggestion

www.anjanikumar.net

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:17 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Similarly, I’m struggling to prevent fog - actually dew - forming on the outer surface of the clear filter on the trap case. I’ve eliminated problems on the inside surface by using silica gel desicant sachets. The case is airtight and once the moisture is sucked out by the gel, no issues inside.

Reading a lot from the astronomers the issue is without doubt the fact that the lens is cold in the morning from the night and moisture in the warmer morning air just condenses on the glass until the box / glass warms in the morning. In the evening I’m not finding such an issue but I have a good sized shade on the top and sides of the box and an added wide angle lens hood to minimise rain spray. According to the astronomers this is probably doing enough to prevent radiated cooling to clear night skies which can also result in evening dew.

Looking here, I might just have a go at using one of these condensation/dew preventer sprays.

All times are