Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:24 pm

All times are

Post subject: building a rig
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:36 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

been using store bought trail cams for a while but in an effort to up my game and get better shots i decided a dslr rig would be a wise step
so now the usual questions are going to be the order of the day

first question i have is with regards to mounting the camera inside the enclosure. ive got a pelican case with the pull-apart foam insert. is it a case of just sitting camera in the foam (would i not get camera shake) or should i be attaching a quick release inside the case to hold the camera?

i'll add more questions to this post as i go

Post subject: Re: building a rig
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:21 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Let me make a suggestion, you should post up a couple of images of the inside of that Pelican case that will give all a look and l am sure some of the dslr enthusiasts will chime in.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:47 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

As requested

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:59 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I’ve got another question, probably a stupid one
I’m assuming you all are using manual focus? How do you actually turn the focus ring once you have the camera in the enclosure and mounted where you want it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:13 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I'm still working on my first rig, so I am far from an experienced cam trapper. What I chose to do is to mount the camera inside the case using an Arca-Swiss QR clamp (check aliexpress for cheap clamps and QR plates) . I've mounted the clamp sideways to have a bit of leeway in moving the lens back and forth in the snorkel, which can be helpful when zooming in/out (or using a lens that focuses externally). Another benefit of mounting the camera firmly inside the case is that you have the option to use a portrait orientation by rotating the case. That probably wouldn't work very well if the camera was only sitting in the foam (although, if the case is big enough you could always rotate the camera inside the case I guess).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:17 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Prefocus the camera manually on the target area.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:48 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Mattie wrote:
I'm still working on my first rig, so I am far from an experienced cam trapper. What I chose to do is to mount the camera inside the case using an Arca-Swiss QR clamp (check aliexpress for cheap clamps and QR plates) . I've mounted the clamp sideways to have a bit of leeway in moving the lens back and forth in the snorkel, which can be helpful when zooming in/out (or using a lens that focuses externally). Another benefit of mounting the camera firmly inside the case is that you have the option to use a portrait orientation by rotating the case. That probably wouldn't work very well if the camera was only sitting in the foam (although, if the case is big enough you could always rotate the camera inside the case I guess).

Thank you very much Mattie for taking the time to answer, and so comprehensively too

What you’re suggesting sounds like what I was actually planning except for the rotating case idea. my only concern really was shutter noise being transferred my a direct link between camera and case, and wondered if that was why most setups on here seam to only use the foam.

My main concern about using only the foam was camera shake due to the shutter.

You only get one hit at drilling the case so I need to remove any worries, and procure all the parts before I start

As for the focusing I guess I was overthinking it :whistle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:59 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

I am using harder foam (like sleeping mat closed cell EVA foam) in mine. I just let the cameras rest on this without being attached inside, but I do put some sheets on the sides. One trap box I have is opened from the top. In this, I stuff a piece of soft open cell foam between the camera and the lid to keep it from rattling around should an animal turn it over.

Regarding focusing, I normally focus using AF when the framing is right and then turn to MF.

Cheers,

https://instagram.com/larsholsthansen/
https://twitter.com/Lars_Holst

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:05 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Mambo wrote:
I’ve got another question, probably a stupid one
I’m assuming you all are using manual focus? How do you actually turn the focus ring once you have the camera in the enclosure and mounted where you want it?

I use a Nikon D3300 (most basic of their bodies). With this I can set up the body to use back button AF (I.e. switch off the focus on shutter button and reassign the AEL button on the back of the body to AF. This moves focus from the shutter to this back button. So firing the shutter does not trigger AF too.

Then I mount the body and lens in the enclosure with the focus ring completely out of reach. Mount the body and box as needed. I then just use live view focussing on the back screen with the back button. Switch off live view, button up the box and done. I’ve not found the lens focus ‘drifts’when setup like this, at least on Nikon. I think you can probably set up other makes like this too though I’ve not done it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:11 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

thanks Richard.
that makes total sense

All times are