Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:34 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:46 pm 
King
King

Going to be trying out some wireless flash options including Camtraptions and thought I'd share the data and calculations I made. Not sure how it will relate to the real world but maybe I'll post back with more info once I've tried them.

TX Data:
On startup: 96mA
Settles quickly to: .01ma or more accurately 16.5uA
Rises to 17.76mA on transmit then back down to sleep

Drawing an Average of .01 mA:
AAA Duracell Alkaline: 3354 days life (This is the listen time, if you are firing it often it will be less life.)

RX
27mA on startup
Settles to 5mA sleep
Draws 25mA for 6 seconds every time it’s fired and then goes back to 5mA

Drawing an Average of 7mA:
D batteries will last: 62 days
C battery will last 32 days
AA batteries will last 11.8 days
AAA batteries will last 6 days (Camtraptions says 8 days life so not too far off)

When both sensors have settled and sleeping, the RX draws about 300 times the power that the TX does. This is what you would expect because the transmit only needs to be on when it's firing a signal to the Rx and the Rx always needs to be on and listening to the Tx.Thus the Rx always uses much more power then the Tx (in sleep). Anyone with experience using these in the field free free to comment. I will probably go with external power for the RX side and the normal AAA batteries for the TX side.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:32 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I’m using these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commlite-ComTrig-T320-4-IN-1-Universal-Flash-Trigger-Kit-for-Nikon-Canon-Pentax-/222466583397
Which are the same product under a different brand

I found just about as you describe, using the standard 2x AAA in the field the RX lasted between 4 and 7 days depending on temp and triggers. Since I converted them to 6x AA I’ve no hard data but it’s over 2 weeks now for sure

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:40 am 
Emperor
Emperor

This is an excellent post of good information to know. Comtrig has closed shop by the looks of their website. You can still buy them on that Chinese marketplace site quite cheap. They are all made in China but whether or not they are made by Comtrig, I can't say. It be ironic if they were being copied by another Chinese manufacturer.

I now make it a point to replace my 2 x "AAA" in my RX units every week now. Until I get the chance to bring them in to bump up the number of cells in the builds.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:48 am 

A couple years ago I converted my pixel pawn triggers to 2 AAs from 2AAAs. I get a month or more life as opposed to 1-2 weeks. Sure makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:37 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Predator 1 wrote:
A couple years ago I converted my pixel pawn triggers to 2 AAs from 2AAAs. I get a month or more life as opposed to 1-2 weeks. Sure makes a huge difference.

Good information

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:37 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

This is whole post is informative .. thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Hang on Daryl, it's get better.........

In my wireless slaves I have batteries for the flash control board, flash assembly and the receiver unit. It's always the batteries inside the receiver unit that I don't see, that I always forget to change. I cannot tell you how many pictures I get that are black. Enough procrastination, time for a makeover.

I would like to ask this question to other members. What if I leave the existing 2 x "AAA" batteries inside the receiver unit and run another set 2 x "AA" batteries in parallel to them. They are all 1.5v so that it should work but I don't know if the weakest link would be the "AAA" batteries that will die before the "AA" batteries. So if that is correct, it would be redundant in leaving the "AAA" batteries in there in the first place. Does that sound correct to everyone?

Somehow I think that because the "AAA" and the "AA" batteries run at a different mAh from one another, that it may not jive correctly. Perhaps running all 2 x "AAA" in the RX unit and 2 x "AAA" in parallel as externals would be the answer. What thoust say wiser than me brethren?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:22 pm 
King
King

Someone else can speak up here too, but it's frowned upon to put different sized primary (non-rechargeable) batteries in parallel. Batteries with a larger capacity will try to keep the ones with the lower capacity charged (lower capacity batteries will be depleted first). If they aren't rechargeable then this will be problematic because they are being charged and aren't designed to except it. There are also other things to worry about like internal battery resistances which increase as the battery capacity decreases. Also, if you happen to replace the AAA batteries but not the externals or if the AAA batteries happen to have have a higher voltage then the external batteries, the opposite can happen and the AAA batteries will try to charge the external pack. If it's a small difference it's probably fine but anytime you're charging primary cells (non rechargeable batteries) it will be problematic and a number of situations that you don't expect such as temp variable can arise.

If you wanted to run rechargeable AAA batteries in the flash and alkaline primary AA, AAA, or D batteries outside to keep the rechargeables powered up then that would work. Rechargeables in my experience have a lower voltage and won't try to charge the externals. Looks like Eneloop makes some rechargable NI-MH AAA batteries, haven't tried them but they look like the same chemistry as the AA's which are awesome. One thing I do is to put a laminated numbered and color coded checklist on the door of the case that I run down before redeploying the camera. No matter what I always run down the checklist taped inside the case before sealing it back up and it's saved me a few times. Ideally, and probably isn't possible, but you'd like to have one big battery that powers everything. That means only one thing to check, one thing to replace, and only one thing that could go wrong and stop your system from working.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:23 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

greengrass wrote:
Someone else can speak up here too, but it's frowned upon to put different sized primary (non-rechargeable) batteries in parallel. Batteries with a larger capacity will try to keep the ones with the lower capacity charged (lower capacity batteries will be depleted first). If they aren't rechargeable then this will be problematic because they are being charged and aren't designed to except it. There are also other things to worry about like internal battery resistances which increase as the battery capacity decreases. Also, if you happen to replace the AAA batteries but not the externals or if the AAA batteries happen to have have a higher voltage then the external batteries, the opposite can happen and the AAA batteries will try to charge the external pack. If it's a small difference it's probably fine but anytime you're charging primary cells (non rechargeable batteries) it will be problematic and a number of situations that you don't expect such as temp variable can arise.

If you wanted to run rechargeable AAA batteries in the flash and alkaline primary AA, AAA, or D batteries outside to keep the rechargeables powered up then that would work. Rechargeables in my experience have a lower voltage and won't try to charge the externals. Looks like Eneloop makes some rechargable NI-MH AAA batteries, haven't tried them but they look like the same chemistry as the AA's which are awesome. One thing I do is to put a laminated numbered and color coded checklist on the door of the case that I run down before redeploying the camera. No matter what I always run down the checklist taped inside the case before sealing it back up and it's saved me a few times. Ideally, and probably isn't possible, but you'd like to have one big battery that powers everything. That means only one thing to check, one thing to replace, and only one thing that could go wrong and stop your system from working.

I made the mistake of running a pair of "AAA" 1.2v niMh batteries in my receiver and it is not advisable. It worked but had multiple problems with reliability and reception. I now only run 1.5v alkaline cells in 1.5v flash assemblies and 1.5v wireless receivers. I do combine alkaline and niMh cells in my builds to operate different components but never together with one another. I found this site explaining the alkaline mAh capacity and drainage under load.......https://www.quora.com/How-many-MAH-are- ... ll-battery

So maybe it's best that if you want to keep the existing receiver 2 x "AAA" 1.5v alkaline batteries and run another bunch in parallel. You keep all the cells the same like you suggest. I don't have a lot of room in my slave flash builds so I would like to maximize the space the best I can.

Running everything off of one power source would require individual adjustable step down convertors, would it not?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting battery link. Thanks for posting.

All times are