It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:34 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:43 am 
Emperor
Emperor

TRLcam wrote:
L. Bruce Kekule wrote:
TRL,

Glad you got the ball rolling on the DSLRs. It should catch on with some of the more serious trail cam buffs. How will you be triggering the SB28s? I have one that I might use for my D2x. Interested to hear from you on this. Steve Winter with NG used SB26s in slave mode I think....

Cheers, Bruce.

Hey Bruce........I think you are right, it is going to catch on once guys see how easy it is and the quality of the images. For the project in this thread I will be using a SSII in a remote housing. The SB28 has a great standby mode that can extend battery life to a few weeks on four AA's. To trigger the flash I will be using either a hardwire that goes from the Canon camera hot shoe to the Nikon flash or an iShoot wireless remote. Costs are about the same and the iShoot works great in the warmer months. But I have found that the lower cost wireless remotes fail when temps get below about 10F making hardwire about the only choice.

Hope to post part two of the thread in a couple days. Can't wait to see some shots from your project.

TRL, thanks for the info and I will surely look at hard-wiring again but I know it will be a pain to set up. Digging small ditches and burying the wires plus attaching to the trees with screws and clamps. I still have the two sets I made up for the Canon cam to Nikon flashes (but they are long at five meters) and was going to use the SB400s flashes due to size. I can see were battery life and freezing temperatures could be a problem. Thailand is normally temperate but it does get cold but no snow (thank god).

Thinking back what I said about Steve Winter; he did say he hardwired all his flashes when he went after the snow leopard. He uses up to four depending on the location. I've tried to find info on his site but he puts out none. I just happened to meet him last year in the forest I work in and pumped him and his assistant for as much info as I could get. That's why I bought the Canon. Look forward to part two of your thread and I should have some photos from the Canon when I get back from the forest during the first-second week in April.

Cheers, Bruce

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:18 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Very useful article. Been playing around with both canon and nikon dslrs in a camera trap using trail master trigger and sb28 flashes. While i've got a few images that are good, I am struggling with getting the focus right. Recently I lost a nice tiger shot in a D70 setup. Any advise to get the focus set correctly would be greatly appreciated. Thnx Amirtharaj

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:24 am 
Emperor
Emperor

acwill69 wrote:
Very useful article. Been playing around with both canon and nikon dslrs in a camera trap using trail master trigger and sb28 flashes. While i've got a few images that are good, I am struggling with getting the focus right. Recently I lost a nice tiger shot in a D70 setup. Any advise to get the focus set correctly would be greatly appreciated. Thnx Amirtharaj

I usually take and object that has sharp edges or sharp contrasting black/white areas and set it in the target area. Set the focus out of the camera trap housing and put a small piece of tape on the lens to hold in position. That's what works for me. I am sure others have other methods.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:56 am 
Emperor
Emperor

TRLcam wrote:
acwill69 wrote:

I usually take and object that has sharp edges or sharp contrasting black/white areas and set it in the target area. Set the focus out of the camera trap housing and put a small piece of tape on the lens to hold in position. That's what works for me. I am sure others have other methods.

TRLcam,

I use the same method but I get one of my assistants to get on all fours (like a tiger) and after careful focusing, use sticky tape and lock the lens in place. It can go slightly out as you put it back in its box (slightest movement) if you don't use tape. Just a two inch piece over the top will do.

Bruce

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:16 am 
Emperor
Emperor

You might be able to use a slavemaster for the slaves, that could extend the batteries out much longer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:39 am 
Royal
Royal

I imagine it's night shots that five you the most trouble. A lot has to do with the lens and depth of field of view, each lens can be different. I try to get mine in focus just short of the target area and that gives me 6 foot leeway on focus. If the animal stops and turns to look at the camera, which is common, the head is still in focus. But mainly I set my cams close and haven't had much problem with auto focus, my nikon won't take an out of focus picture so nights are my main problem so that's when I use hard wire remote flash and manual focus with tape.

Been layed up since mid summer of last year with a knee problem. I hyper exteded my knee when stepping in a hole, tore up the inside on the knee and broke a chip off the bone which lodged in the knee joint cutting a tendon. Had to walk 5 miles to get out which didn't help the problem. Had surgery a month ago and got infection, leg swelled up twice the normal size. On a different antibiotic now and seems to be improving, so it's been leg elevated, ice packs and advil for months now. If I'm on my feet for very long the leg swells and turns red and burns, plus I have to sit here looking at all my cameras. Should be out setting cameras in a month, I hope...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:39 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Quote:
Been layed up since mid summer of last year with a knee problem.

Take care, Cliff, those soft tissue injuries take a long time to heal, as the doctor has no doubt told you. It was a year before my torn achilles tendon started to feel normal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:24 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Wow excellent timing as I sat down to assemble my trail cam with a DSLR (Canon Rebel T1i). Since I already have the boards I was going to use an old Pixcontroller LE board with trail mode with a S40 chip. I don't know if the timing is right. Has anyone tried that board/chip or what do you recommend for boards (besides the Snapshot Sniper mentioned in this post)?

Thanks,
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:32 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

grizzlyadams wrote:
Wow excellent timing as I sat down to assemble my trail cam with a DSLR (Canon Rebel T1i). Since I already have the boards I was going to use an old Pixcontroller LE board with trail mode with a S40 chip. I don't know if the timing is right. Has anyone tried that board/chip or what do you recommend for boards (besides the Snapshot Sniper mentioned in this post)?

Thanks,
Tom

Really just about any motion detector you have will work. All you need is a momentary pull to ground when something moves in front of the detector. A couple years ago I built one out of a security light PIR. I chose the SSII for this project because I had one laying on the bench without a home.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:59 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I'm just wondering don't I need to pull down the power up lead first to let the Rebel power up and focus (though I will often use manual focus) and then pull down the trigger function lead. Or can I just pull down both simultaneously on the Rebel and let it sort it out? I'm looking forward to the larger sensor and RAW capability of the DSLR.

Thanks for the help!

All times are