Fledgling
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:00 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:39 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Link to Part One viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5298
Link to Part Two viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5392

Let’s build a couple flash housings and connect them back to the camera housing. I have two Nikon SB28 flash units that I picked up used on eBay a few weeks ago. The SB28 takes four AA batteries and has a great standby mode. The actual battery time will depend on your flash intensity settings and trap activity. Many of the Nikon flashes have the same features; the SB28 has been out long enough that the used price is usually below $100.

The materials required for this part of the project are:

Heavy duty Ziplock bags.

Camo duct tape.

iShoot wireless flash trigger.

Two Nikon SB28 flash units.

First take a Ziplock bag, open it and place the flash in the bag. Position the flash so the writing on the bag does not cover the flash window or the LCD screen.

Then take small pieces of camo duct tape and cover the flash with tape. Leave open the LCD screen and the flash window.

Here is the finished product.

I know it's nothing fancy and it looks pretty bad but it works well. And remember this is the "economy" DSLR build. I have built all kinds of flash housings out of many different products but by far the easiest, quickest and most cost effective is the Ziplock bag method. Use only a name brand heavy duty bag. I get these from Sam’s Club by the case.

The connection back to the camera housing is done with an iShoot PT-04CN Flash Trigger. The package consists of the transmitter that sits on the camera hot shoe and two receive units that have their own hot shoe for the Nikon flash. I picked this set up on eBay for $30. When I use lithium AAA batteries I can get about three weeks out of the receiver. It would not be too hard to wire external batteries to the receivers. I have never replaced the battery in the transmitter.

The mounting in this example is a 1" RAM ball with a 1/4-20 standard camera thread in the bottom of the flash receiver and a tree lag that we produce with a 1" RAM ball. The connection is made with a RAM short arm. This gives you complete control of where the flash is covering and very easy adjustment.

Using the wireless flash triggers really simplifies the setting of the camera trap. Plus you don’t have to worry about hiding the wires, animals chewing on the wire or animals (or me) tripping over the wires. A good solution all the way around. The only drawback is when the temp gets around 10 degrees and lower they get intermittent and a hardwire connection is necessary.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:33 pm 
Royal
Royal

Looks great, does the transmitter on the camera send the dignal through the case, or do you need a something on the outside...

I like that setup/

On another point, I think I might have been thinking wrong on the auto focus...think you might have been talking about the auto focus wire and I was thinking about the auto or manual focus on the lens. I never use the auto focus wire either, just the shutter and common to hook to the board..

cliff

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:39 pm 

Cool! thanks for posting...I'd say thats simple enough :) Nice work!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:41 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

wildebeast wrote:
Looks great, does the transmitter on the camera send the dignal through the case, or do you need a something on the outside...

I like that setup/

On another point, I think I might have been thinking wrong on the auto focus...think you might have been talking about the auto focus wire and I was thinking about the auto or manual focus on the lens. I never use the auto focus wire either, just the shutter and common to hook to the board..

cliff

Yes, the transmitter is on the hot shoe of the Canon Rebel. No outside antenna. The ad says it will go 30 meters. I have never had a flash that far from the camera to test it.

That's correct, on the Canon you just need ground and the shutter pin to trip the shutter. On the newer Nikon cameras you need the shutter and the focus pin at ground to trip the shutter.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:00 am 
Emperor
Emperor

TRL,

That flash-bag technique is really cool for a quick setup. In some areas I work, they would be OK but in others, the jumbos would play with it for awhile until they got bored and throw it usually into the bush. I'll give the bag trick a try

From Amoseli National Park, Kenya...

Bruce

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:25 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

which model of iShoot wireless flash trigger did you buy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:53 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

dcallet wrote:
which model of iShoot wireless flash trigger did you buy

iShoot PT-04CN Flash Trigger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:31 pm 
What happened to part four? :uhhuh

I am having trouble getting two snapshot sniper 2 (SSII) to work with a Nikon DSLR, so I am quite interested in part 4 of this exciting series...

All the best,
Lars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:42 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Part four coming up. Stand by.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:44 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I'm on stand-by....hah...!

:old :rockon

www.brucekekule.com