Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:55 am

All times are

Post subject: Camera Temperature Data
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:46 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I normally don't use the data stamp for video clips or stills, but recently did it by mistake, and just viewed a pile of clips.
The camera was a Browning Recon Force Extreme. The temperature gradually increased as the camera
took successive 1-minute clips of bears in a creek. The site gets limited direct and dappled sunlight, but even in
early morning shade the temperature increased, sometimes by 6 degrees between clips. I am guessing that the
camera generates heat taking videos and this is the cause. The manual says nothing about the location of the temperature sensor. Any thoughts?

PS: I also see that temperature is NOT recorded with EXIF data for each photo. I use GraphicConverter to download date and time data for tabulating all photos/clips in a spreadsheet. Absence of temperature values makes it hard to do any analysis of the data. I guess its just another bell and whistle feature :violin .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:08 am 
Emperor
Emperor

From what I've read, the consensus among users is that the temperature readings on Browning cameras are notoriously unreliable. I have 12 Brownings and have always had the data strip turned off on every one of them. In any case, it's hard to believe that the temperature data from a trail camera would be an accurate representation of the ambient temperature. Camera placement: on the sunny or shady side of a tree or in sun or shade; camera color: dark as some Bushnells or less expensive cameras of other makes, the camo on some Brownings and other makes has more dark areas than on others. Do cameras generate heat when in operation? Perhaps the LED light source does or the chips or batteries generate enough heat to register, but probably no one knows.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:37 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Much like their customer service (warranty) dept. Looks good in writing but............
I've experienced the very same thing Chris, 7 degrees Celsius or 12.6 degrees Fahrenheit increase in 10 mins. time :rofll

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:57 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks, guys.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:23 pm 
King
King

Not hard to design something that gets good temp measurements. They probably have a heat sink on the processor which should more then handle any heat generated by operation and the temp sensor should ideally be located far away from the processor and wired near the outside of the case. In theory "it should just work" :) but they probably put a surface mount sensor on the board to save costs. Could place it in a room with a constant temp and see what happens but if you're like me your cams are always in the field and never home for testing!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:19 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Good idea. I was reading TrailcamPro reviews the other day, and they also note the unreliable themometer readings in the Brownings.

All times are