Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:23 pm

All times are

Post subject: Offal Cams
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:03 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

For a while now I've been helping a research project in Minnesota that's using camera traps to see what critters feed on gut piles. It's an interesting project although I have a few concerns with their methodology. After viewing over 2,000 images, it certainly has given me an idea of the quality of pictures produced by several brands of commercial cameras. https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/emb ... e28oct2019

Post subject: Re: Offal Cams
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:29 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I had a look Woody, one needs to join up with a pass word etc to access the site fully. I did that and had a bit of a prowl around. What sparked my initial interest was your comment about the quality of the images out of the various cams. So what was your observations to be the better cameras? I find Bushnell has no peers for video but the stills are poor. Browning seems to be right up there with the video but you have to set up too far away because the field of view is tight it almost appears to be zoomed in. A quality video cam with 120 degree field of view with a PIR to match would be perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:14 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

They have about 35,000 images to review, but they're from a limited number of cameras depending on who submitted photos and there's no indication of which model of any of the various brands took the photos. I was really surprised by the absolutely terrible quality of many of the Bushnell photos (I just got my first Bushnell so I can't speak from personal experience) and the poor quality photos from the Moultries. I was equally surprised by how good the photos from the Wildgame cameras look.

The Browning and Covert images are as good as I'd expect, I'm glad I have a bunch of Brownings although some models take much better videos than others -- I only use my commercial cameras for videos.

There are a lot of variables involved with the cameras: age, model, how they were set up, direction the camera faced as well as the quality of the SD cards and the downloading and emailing of the images, so perhaps those pictures aren't truly representative but it's a huge sample of photos. I've looked at over 2,000 of their images; some are so overexposed they're just totally white while others are as sharp as some homebrews.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:45 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Interesting project. I am pretty happy with my Browning Recon Force Extremes, but they are no longer in production; so I am on the lookout for something as good or better. Holler if any of you have recommendations.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:15 am 
Emperor
Emperor

cameratrapcodger wrote:
Interesting project. I am pretty happy with my Browning Recon Force Extremes, but they are no longer in production; so I am on the lookout for something as good or better. Holler if any of you have recommendations.

I keep up with the tests done by www.trailcampro.com.
All the info you ever want to know. There test on the latest Browning reveals that the daytime video is not as good as the BROWNING ADVANTAGE, which they claim is the all time best. I would be looking at it if l was in the market for another daytime video cam.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:40 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I just received an Advantage in the mail today -- a gratis replacement by Browning for a lemon that took at least 5 times more pictures or clips than others of the same model standing side by side. Sadly the Extreme is gone. Will report on the results in due course.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:26 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

cameratrapcodger wrote:
I just received an Advantage in the mail today -- a gratis replacement by Browning for a lemon that took at least 5 times more pictures or clips than others of the same model standing side by side. Sadly the Extreme is gone. Will report on the results in due course.

Good for you Chris, and you said that you were going to not give up on that fight with them. I've had 2 broken hinges in different places, one cam takes continuous daytime videos once activated and the other takes only daytime videos and 1 second night time videos. I'm with you Chris, I like Extreme model the best as well.

Seeing as new models come out to coincide with the fall hunting season. We'll have to wait until next year to see who comes up with what.

All times are