Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:50 pm

All times are

Post subject: Cat track or dog track?
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:39 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Lots of dog tracks where I walk but I'm convinced this one is different. Am I fooling my self or this a lion track?
The print was maybe 2 1/2 inches long.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:20 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Hard to tell; if it's got claws it more likely a dog. The pad has distinctive lobes in mtn lion, but its hard to tell from this photo.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:09 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Here is a cast of a very young Cougar. Note the heel pad having 2 lobes on the top and 3 on the bottom. A canine has 1 on the top and 2 on the bottom. Maybe this picture might help you in drawing a conclusion.

On the contrary, Cougar tracks, or should I say pads, are not as big as most people would think they are. Typically, if the heel pad of a Cougar is under 1 7/8" wide it indicates a Female or a juvenile whereas the Males have slightly wider heel pads. The highest of the 4 toe pads often indicates the inside of the track and the outside of the track tends to bear more weight and make more of an imprint in the ground. Tracking is a great hobby and the more you learn about it. The better you are to fit the pieces of the puzzle together. Most often it's very difficult to identify a track by looking at a single track. You really have to look at the whole area leading up to around and beyond the track.

BTW, a fabulous book on tracking is:

TRACKING AND THE ART OF SEEING
by Paul Rezendes

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Array

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:40 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

cameratrapcodger wrote:
Hard to tell; if it's got claws it more likely a dog. The pad has distinctive lobes in mtn lion, but its hard to tell from this photo.

Thanks for taking a look. I'm going to chalk this one up at ambiguous and keep an eye out for a better print.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:45 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

westcocanuck2 wrote:
Here is a cast of a very young Cougar. The heel pad indicates this plus I also got a picture of it. Maybe this picture might help you in drawing a conclusion. On the contrary, Cougar tracks are not as big as most people would think they are. Typically, if the heel pad of a Cougar is under 1 7/8" wide it indicates a Female or a juvenile whereas the Males have slightly wider heel pads. In your picture, are those pointed toes or claw marks?

Here are a few more tips to ponder. The front paws of most 4 legged animals are larger than the back paws. The highest of the 4 toe pads indicates the inside of the track and the outside of the track tends to make more of an impression.

Hope this helps

Very helpful, and ponder is right, these id's are tricky for a beginner especially when the imprint is not perfect.

All times are