Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:02 pm

All times are

Post subject: How to stop a Bobcat???
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:36 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

What do you guys use to get a Mountain Lion or Bobcat to stop where you want them for the pic? Do you use bait, if so, anything special? Or, does anyone pee on the ground where you would want them to stop and investigate?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:07 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I've used both beaver castoreum and mepee and gotten photos but I'm not sure that bobcats are really interested in either one. They seem to pass right by the scent without stopping so I've only gotten one or two pictures at any one time. I've basically decided that the key is location, location, location -- rock outcrops are my best bet for bobcats and some spots yield a number of photos at any one time and on multiple days in any season. I've never tried a special cat lure, but some folks seem to have good success with that. Since cats are visual hunters, an old trappers' trick of using an attractant like a feather, old CD, aluminum foil or something similar to draw them near the camera should also work for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:31 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Woody Meristem wrote:
I've used both beaver castoreum and mepee and gotten photos but I'm not sure that bobcats are really interested in either one. They seem to pass right by the scent without stopping so I've only gotten one or two pictures at any one time. I've basically decided that the key is location, location, location -- rock outcrops are my best bet for bobcats and some spots yield a number of photos at any one time and on multiple days in any season. I've never tried a special cat lure, but some folks seem to have good success with that. Since cats are visual hunters, an old trappers' trick of using an attractant like a feather, old CD, aluminum foil or something similar to draw them near the camera should also work for you.

Great info Woody.... I do have some rock outcrops, and have gotten some pics there before of Bobcats with the old commercial cams, but now that I am using better equipment, I'm hoping to come up with some better closer pics, and thought if I could get them to stop and smile, that would be great. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:13 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Bones wrote:
Woody Meristem wrote:

Great info Woody.... I do have some rock outcrops, and have gotten some pics there before of Bobcats with the old commercial cams, but now that I am using better equipment, I'm hoping to come up with some better closer pics, and thought if I could get them to stop and smile, that would be great. :D

Like Woody suggested, cats are cold nosed, so you need something more to draw them in. I'm a big fan of the trap bait digital caller for cats especially. Available here: https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Lucky+Duck+Trap+Bait+Digital+Caller. Emits a random series of chirps.

Got this pic by simply suspending the caller above the cam: Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:38 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I have zero knowledge of Bobcats but I can tell you what works for Cougars. I've had great success with a mock Cougar scratch pile. I simply drag one foot backward across the loose ground to form a slight mound of debris. Do this with both feet to form a debris pile about 8"-10" wide x 12"-16" long x 3"-5" high. Look for a game trail that t-bones into another game trail and make the scratch pile off to the side of the main trail at the junction. No self-respecting animal can resist stopping to have a look, at least in these parts. That is a natural looking visual attractant that works for me. The use of a scent atop the scratch pile will usually hold the interest of the animal a bit longer. Nokan and others have had some tremendous success using O'Gorman's Powder River Cat Call lure for Bobcats. I have used O'Gorman's Powder River Bait as well as imitation Catnip oil with very good success for holding a Cougar's interest. I had many occasions where younger Cougars have spent several minutes enjoying the scent.

As a topic of interest. The Bronx Zoo did a study some years back with various Men's colognes. They wanted to see what held their big cat species interests the longest. They found that Obsession for Men cologne sprayed on their toys beat all other competitors. It was the musk used in that cologne that did the trick they figured.

BTW, that's a beautiful picture, Brian.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:13 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Great stuff guys, I may pick up some of that bobcat scent, it may just stop them for a second, which may give me the shot I want.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:26 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Bones wrote:
Great stuff guys, I may pick up some of that bobcat scent, it may just stop them for a second, which may give me the shot I want.

Personally I don't think that you can go wrong using various scents. Like the other members were saying about cats being a visual creature. Although I use mainly mock or real scratch piles to initially grab the attention. The use of some sort of visual draw like others were saying, will greatly increase your chances. The use of a scent lure alone without a visual draw, may not do much good.

Good luck,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:10 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

westcocanuck2 wrote:
Bones wrote:

Personally I don't think that you can go wrong using various scents. Like the other members were saying about cats being a visual creature. Although I use mainly mock or real scratch piles to initially grab the attention. The use of some sort of visual draw like others were saying, will greatly increase your chances. The use of a scent lure alone without a visual draw, may not do much good.

Good luck,

Yes, I will be using some sort of visual too, just thought a little scent with it, might just make it a little more believable. I made this setup last weekend, and did put a little mock scrape, or scratch, just hoping something will walk by and check it out for a second or two..... No scent then though.... It's right on a Rocky ridge, that drops off both sides rather quick, and there is quite a game trail there already..... We'll see... but I would like to add some scent to it....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:04 pm 
Royal
Royal

As for lures that can reach out to less gifted olfactory animals and attract a variety of predators, consider Caven's Gusto Lure. I've had lions, lynx and bobcats respond. Mix a little beaver castoreum and catnip oil in the mix and you'll have a cat centric blend that will occasionally lead to animals rolling or rubbing into the scent. The pics below show lion and bobcat responding to Caven's Gusto lure.
http://www.murrayslures.com/Cavens-Gust ... ml140b.htm
Hope you get your bobcat and post pics.

BTW - Bkontio, what an AMAZING bobcat photo!!!!!! :10

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

All times are