50-59 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
60-69 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
70-79 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject: Your age (poll)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:24 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Just curious as to what age group of people we have here on the CT?
And maybe comment on how long you have been building your own trail camera's.

Post subject: Re: Your age (poll)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:28 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

For the record, I'm 47, and a rookie at building camera's, but I am up to my 3rd build already. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:51 pm 
King
King

I'm an old bastard at 60... been brewing for 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:09 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

1st homebrew was a Kodak 35 with a doorbell pull the bait-trigger (ca 1964) (got 1 unit credit for doing it as an independent study project at SF State).
2nd homebrew was a plug & play Nikon FE with a two triggers, a doormat and a photoelectric beam (1979).
Became obsessive about it when I retired in 2002.

Oh yeah, age . . . 74, maybe the oldest bugger here.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:05 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Sure, I'm game.

I'm not quite an old bastard at 58 and have been camtrapping for 7+ years. First few cams were store bought, then a few custom made home brews built for me. A whole whack of kit cams, which really got me into my expansion, thanks JDH. Now I have 9 x S600's, 2 x W200's, 2 x W100's, 1 x W300, 1 x S40, 1 x Panny FX700, 2 x Sammy TL-350's, 2 x Sony Nex3N's, and several Canon DSLR's waiting in a drawer. I have yet to hack any camera or program anything on my own :bag . I do my own builds and all with steel cases and really enjoy the building end of things. I have 5 wireless slaves built and ready to deploy but they are being paired with builds still in the works. All of my building takes place during the wet months and I camtrap all year round. I've had 4 cameras stolen and got one back. My advice is to camouflage your gear as best you can to avoid detection. Use a secure means of protection against theft but remember. If would be thieves can't see your gear, then they can't steal it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:47 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I am 49 been home brewing for 6+ years I believe. Still won't forget the P41 that I hacked that took my picture. I am still amazed at some of the stuff we can do with these things. And I do mean WE, as we all share a wealth of knowledge to be able to do this. It's awesome. I have met a lot of great people here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:16 pm 
Royal
Royal

This is a fun topic as I've been curious to know more about the crowd here at Camtrapper.

At age 51 and as a professional wildlife artist (I'll post a pic of one of my oil paintings - wolf), naturalist and more recently (since 2010) a part time wildlife researcher (forest carnivores) - camera trapping has been an important part of my adult life. Unlike most of you, I have very little skill with electronic hacks, but endeavor to learn more by paying attention to the knowledgeable folks on this site. I started with store bought film camtraps and then moved into digital, but was always very disappointed with the image quality.

As an artist, I wanted to make artful photographs and as a wildlife researcher, I could see the power of camtrapping as a scientific tool.

Inspired by the photographs of folks like Steve Winters, Michael Forsberg and Bruce Kekule (to name a few) it became apparent that I needed to UP my game. I stumbled upon Camtrapper.com (thanks Willy) and started emailing Jeremi Skelton (aka Predator 1) at monarchimages.ca who then suggested I contact Jeff Dale at TRLcam.com. Jeff built my first and only (so far) custom camtrap, a Panasonic Lumix GH4 supplied with a TRLcam FlashBox and answered many questions (Jeff is a very knowledgeable guy as many of you know).

SPECIAL THANKS to Camtrapper folks that have inspired me: TRLcam.com, Gartooth, JonnyA, tiger hunter, Predator 1, bkieffer, dcallet, JamesBeissel, ArthurV, Lars Holst Hansen, Anders Ogren, nokan, saolaguy, julius.kramer, Woody Meristem, cameratrapcodger, Westcocanuck2, co_bowhunter, WILLY, hydiseka, bones, cnggack, pastorjim08, Bkontio, danpotter6, Beckincrus, zaj56, Darren5566, greengrass, ghosthunters, tanglefoot, stone, etc.

Tags not in any particular order and I know that I'm forgetting some of you by accident - my apologies.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:09 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

WOW!!! That is absolutely beautiful, but then I'd say that about almost all of your art.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:15 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Woody Meristem wrote:
WOW!!! That is absolutely beautiful, but then I'd say that about almost all of your art.

I agree, that's incredible!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:19 pm 
King
King

That wolf picture is "off the chart" gorgeous!!!

All times are