60-69 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
70-79 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject: Re: Your age (poll)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:48 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Kalon wrote:
This is a fun topic as I've been curious to know more about the crowd here at Camtrapper.

At age 51 and as a professional wildlife artist (I'll post a pic of one of my oil paintings - wolf), naturalist and more recently (since 2010) a part time wildlife researcher (forest carnivores) - camera trapping has been an important part of my adult life. Unlike most of you, I have very little skill with electronic hacks, but endeavor to learn more by paying attention to the knowledgeable folks on this site. I started with store bought film camtraps and then moved into digital, but was always very disappointed with the image quality.

As an artist, I wanted to make artful photographs and as a wildlife researcher, I could see the power of camtrapping as a scientific tool.

Inspired by the photographs of folks like Steve Winters, Michael Forsberg and Bruce Kekule (to name a few) it became apparent that I needed to UP my game. I stumbled upon Camtrapper.com (thanks Willy) and started emailing Jeremi Skelton (aka Predator 1) at monarchimages.ca who then suggested I contact Jeff Dale at TRLcam.com. Jeff built my first and only (so far) custom camtrap, a Panasonic Lumix GH4 supplied with a TRLcam FlashBox and answered many questions (Jeff is a very knowledgeable guy as many of you know).

SPECIAL THANKS to Camtrapper folks that have inspired me: TRLcam.com, Gartooth, JonnyA, tiger hunter, Predator 1, bkieffer, dcallet, JamesBeissel, ArthurV, Lars Holst Hansen, Anders Ogren, nokan, saolaguy, julius.kramer, Woody Meristem, cameratrapcodger, Westcocanuck2, co_bowhunter, WILLY, hydiseka, bones, cnggack, pastorjim08, Bkontio, danpotter6, Beckincrus, zaj56, Darren5566, greengrass, ghosthunters, tanglefoot, stone, etc.

Tags not in any particular order and I know that I'm forgetting some of you by accident - my apologies.

That is a beautiful painting Kalon, you are a very gifted artist. I have to say that you are the first wildlife artist that I know of on this forum. I use to broker in wildlife art, LE's, PP's, AP's years back. Carl Brenders, Ron Parker, Terry Issac, and Bateman are some of my favorites and all with their own distinct styles. I particularly like Terry Issac's work, his lighting is spectacular (CAUGHT BY LIGHT). but that Brender's work is wow! hard to tell from a photograph. Your work sort of reminds me of Jorge Mayol's (SOLO SINGER) but I like your lighting better. Anyhow, you paint a beautiful Wolf and its good to know more about you and other fellow camtrappers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:04 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Yes .. what a beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:38 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I've been camera trapping for more that 15 years...started with small point-n-shoot film cameras shooting slide film...just made 72 and I guess it's all catching up to me now...but still hanging in there and actually going into the forest next week to check three DSLRs and one Bushnell...hoping for some tigers and leopards as usual...we'll see..!

:old

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:03 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

As an artist, you are the real thing! That's a wonderful painting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:55 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

So far, it looks like there is not much interest in Camera Trapping from the younger generation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Could it be the instant gratification of cell phones?

Camera trapping takes patience.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:20 pm 
King
King

As you get older .... you get smarter,...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:11 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Bones wrote:
So far, it looks like there is not much interest in Camera Trapping from the younger generation.

Could be us old buggers (the Codger's term for 70 plus) camera trappers have more time on our hands than the younger generation....Hah...come on you guys...let's see more comments from the group and you don't have to be shy about your age...!!

:old (this is the 'old' icon)...!!

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:52 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Yes, thanks for posting that wolf oil painting. Amazing. Jaw dropping amazing.

I'm 57. I got into this craft to learn about mountain lions. More than a decade later and over 35,000 images and videos, I'm as passionate about it now as ever. I'd prefer to spend all of my free time in the field. I built a few cameras early on but then chose to have others, like PapaBob, build them for me. I also use a lot of off the shelf cameras like the Browning Recon Force Platinum. These days I'm taking videos, 100%. I find I can learn so much more from video than I can from a still image and if I want stills I can grab them from the video frames.

The first image of a mountain lion that I captured felt like winning the lottery. To set up a camera and achieve results was thrilling. Here is that first photo.

Attachment:
MTLion1.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.offthepavement.org

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:14 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Kalon, I had no idea you lived in Helmville, MT. I grew up in Libby. Working as a forester in that part of the state I saw a lot of incredible things. One was a bizarre car/horse accident where highway 141 intersects highway 200. I'll tell you about it sometime. Have you spent much time in the Bob Marshall Wilderness?

http://www.offthepavement.org

All times are