50-59 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
60-69 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
70-79 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject: Re: Your age (poll)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:26 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

That's a very cool first mountain lion pic! Is it normal to get one with a tag in the ear once in awhile?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:06 pm 
Royal
Royal

Thank you VERY much for the kind words regarding my artwork. Truly feel fortunate to make a living doing something that I love.

westcocanuck2 - "I have to say that you are the first wildlife artist that I know of on this forum. I use to broker in wildlife art, LE's, PP's, AP's years back. Carl Brenders, Ron Parker, Terry Issac, and Bateman are some of my favorites and all with their own distinct styles. I particularly like Terry Issac's work, his lighting is spectacular (CAUGHT BY LIGHT). but that Brender's work is wow! hard to tell from a photograph. Your work sort of reminds me of Jorge Mayol's (SOLO SINGER) but I like your lighting better. Anyhow, you paint a beautiful Wolf and its good to know more about you and other fellow camtrappers."
-Such a small world. I've had the good fortune to interface with a few of the GREAT artists that you mentioned - Bateman, Issac and Brenders. These guys are master artists, naturalists and conservation minded folks. Bateman: One of Canada's treasures, highly influenced my vision as an artist/naturalist. Bateman drilled into me the importance of not only striving to make original and worthy artwork, but also to actively seek ways to contribute to conservation efforts. Never met Mayol, but I appreciate your comparison of my work with his. Issac's work is truly outstanding and i agree with you regarding his masterful use of light - a super nice and approachable guy too.

co_bowhunter - "Kalon, I had no idea you lived in Helmville, MT. I grew up in Libby. Working as a forester in that part of the state I saw a lot of incredible things. One was a bizarre car/horse accident where highway 141 intersects highway 200. I'll tell you about it sometime. Have you spent much time in the Bob Marshall Wilderness?"
-David, Libby is beautiful country. Bum deal regarding all the unfortunate asbestos health issues surrounding that country. I live very close to the Bob, but find I spend most of my woods related time in the Seeley/Swan, HNF, Big Hole and in the Pintlers. I share your love of all things Mountain Lion related and similar to you, took my first camtrap pics of lions that were part the large research study in the Garnet Mountains (my backyard).

Bones "So far, it looks like there is not much interest in Camera Trapping from the younger generation."
-Sure is nice to work with digital equipment now. Young newcomers get to skip the expense and challenges of the film days. I've had the very good fortune to help lead citizen scientists in a variety of ways working for wildlife. Some of these young volunteers show incredible skills using digital camera and seem to have the fire in their belly regarding camtrapping. One young-ish guy in my area, Steven Gnam, is a highly gifted and skilled photographer and camtrapper inspiring next generations around here. So, they are out there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:34 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Bones wrote:
So far, it looks like there is not much interest in Camera Trapping from the younger generation.

21 here. There's at least one of us around.

From New York.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:14 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Cliff here, I'm a young 73 and have been missing for several years to spend as much time as I could with my two older brothers who have since passed on after a long battle with dementia. Started using cameras in the mid-50's using a Brownie Hawkeye camera triggered by a string crossing the trail and a mouse trap trigger. Live in Southwest Washington State.

Am glad to be back, put a few cameras out yesterday, but our summer has been very dry and hot, can't wait for the rain.

All times are