Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:37 am

All times are

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:56 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hello there!

I am looking for a trail camera around 200 EUR/USD, to place in the middle of the abandoned Swedish woods. I am not a hunter, but I am very very curious what kind of animals are walking around my summerhouse. We have many different animals here, including Moose and Wolfs. But I am new with Trail Cams, and therefore no clue where to start.

Any tips on decent cameras? Infrared or flash? I don't want to scare the animals, since I want to film them in their natural behaviour as much as possible.

Looking forward to hear from you guys!

Cheers

Luke

P.s. I had no clue where to post it. Feel free to re-locate to a better group if needed.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (5) Plus met Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:05 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

If you are looking for a commercial cam, I would recommend a Browning Strike-Force. I have several and have had great luck with them. They are well within your price range as well. If you want a homebrew cam, there are several builders on this forum who would be glad to help you out. I'm sure most of those would be in your price range as well. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Blessings.........Pastorjim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:31 pm 
Galapagos
Galapagos

You might check out the ( Blue Light Specials ) on the forum. They have a few Homebrews for sale. Might check with seller to see what they still has. Just PM them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:30 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Thanks for the responses both. Since I am in Sweden, a home made one might be expensive for shipping. So I rather buy a commercial trail camera, also because I am new with this so I just want something to get started. The Browning Strike Force was also my first choice before I posted here, so good to see that confirmed. If I order it now, I'll have it in a couple of days. Question: temperature here can drop to -20/-25 (Celsius). Will the cam work in those circumstances? If so, how drastically will this influence the battery life?

Cheers,

Luke

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (5) Plus met Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:59 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Hello Luke,

Welcome aboard. Much of your footage will be at night, using the infrared light. Check the quality of the footage of the Browning Strike Force against the Browning Recon Force Extreme. The price is very similar. I've had absolutely stellar success with the night time footage from the extreme camera and I like the daytime footage as well. I've posted a few clips for your review that I captured with the extreme model.

Here are a few additional tips that may help you:

1. Learn wind direction for the area you want to study. Focus on wind direction on high and low pressure days, cold air drainage and thermals. Predators ALWAYS hunt primarily with their nose into the wind.

2. Edges: Predators will always walk an edge, edge of a meadow, creek, ridge line, draw, etc.

3. Topographic pinch points: These create funnels for predators to successfully hunt prey.

4. Prey base: What are these predators eating? Learn all you can about the prey and their movements. Understand what the groceries are doing and you'll have much more success capturing predators on film.

5. Avoid using lures of any kind. This will only lessen your success over time. Work to capture completely wild footage of wild animals. In the long run you'll be more successful.

6. Make a difference: Share your findings with those who care about wildlife, starting with this group.

Keep us posted. Welcome!

http://www.offthepavement.org

All times are