Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:38 pm

All times are

Post subject: whats with this Badger?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:09 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I've got my Dslr rig out in the woods on a Badger sett (European Badger) Dslr is just the other side of tree facing toward sett on a well used path, it can just be seen in red ring

Attachment:
IMG_2014.jpg

Trigger is Camtraptions PIR. Dslr didn't fire at all this night (first night in this location) so what scared the hell out of the Badger?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/NI5rypnnZbw[/youtube]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/N2RZXnEZvfw[/youtube]

youtube links dont seam to work right

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Array

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:10 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:40 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

anyway what i'm getting at is what is alarming the badger so?
I'm guessing its not the PIR as they dont seam too bothered by the trail cams
So i can only assume its the radio transmitters (Commlite ComTrig T320)

Anyone else noticed this kind of behavior? like i say they are not botherered by the trail cams ive even got video of them sniffing and licking them, but theres something on the Dslr that appears to be scaring the life out of him

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:38 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I can't imagine that a radio frequency would be it. I also doubt that your scent would be a problem but maybe. Judging by your description, it may in large part be the noise. Point and Shoot cams make that lens motor noise. Most all DSLRs have a noise created by the mirror moving back and forth. Many members here cram lots of foam or sound deadening material around their cameras to help reduce this noise. Maybe the reflection from the IR hitting your camera lens glass created a reflection. Perhaps Badgers, have extremely acute night vision and suddenly seeing your camera scared him. Remember, reflective, and perfectly round or straight edged objects in the natural world of theirs is next to non existent. In all honesty, most of us here I would imagine have little experience with Badgers I would think. I base that assumption on the lack of Badger pics posted here in the last 9 years.

Other ideas would be to cover the camera with camo burlap with cutouts for the openings. Then poke in some twigs and leaves into the burlap to blend it in with its surroundings. My experiences cameratrapping animals that get spooked easily is usually this. The flash or steady light of both white or IR is usually the culprit. Noise also draws their sudden attention. Some species spook easier than others but I find that it usually depends more on the individual rather than the species.

This set of yours is a proven Badger location so I would keep your camera in that general location. Keep at it, reduce some of these livelihoods and you'll get your Badger in time.
Good luck,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:36 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

yes i thought long and hard about it but the camera did not fire so camera/flashs were in standby radio transmitters too i guess, what exactly is the PIR doing? sending out an IR array one would guess. So why did the dslr rig spook the badger so bad when ive had trail cams with PIRs on this sett for well over 6 months, and like i say they dont seam bothered by them.

I just dont get it

that top vid was the first time the trail cam triggered since the Dslr was there

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:03 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

So I’m starting to think it can only be the radio receivers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:19 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

What is the badger doing? It looks like its digging in its burrow. What am I missing?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:50 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Check the videos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:54 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Mambo wrote:
Check the videos

As your link to the videos is not working; well at least not here. Just post up your utube channel and we will find it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:01 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

My oversight, sorry -- it looks to me like it is vigilant, staring and sniffing in the direction of some disturbance. Never seen anything react to a camera like that. If that is a natal den you are in for some very interesting footage this spring.

All times are