Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:43 am

All times are

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:57 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I am also interested in this cam. I think from experience that if the deer can see white light (whilst it is recording video) it will definitely spook them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:22 am 

buckhuntertrailcam wrote:
I am also interested in this cam. I think from experience that if the deer can see white light (whilst it is recording video) it will definitely spook them.

Spartan along with their blackflash cameras also has a whiteflash cellular camera. I've recorded thousands of videos in color and haven't seen a deer spook from it yet. They will sometimes look at it for a few seconds but noting I'd be concerned at, I get the same or even less of a reaction from black bear. These videos are from the cellular camera, they are the videos that are transmitted to my phone in the app, they are not vids from the new SR3 whiteflash non cell camera.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:52 am 
Emperor
Emperor

johnnydeerhunter wrote:
buckhuntertrailcam wrote:

Spartan along with their blackflash cameras also has a whiteflash cellular camera. I've recorded thousands of videos in color and haven't seen a deer spook from it yet. They will sometimes look at it for a few seconds but noting I'd be concerned at, I get the same or even less of a reaction from black bear. These videos are from the cellular camera, they are the videos that are transmitted to my phone in the app, they are not vids from the new SR3 whiteflash non cell camera.

Ok not sure that I understand what you are saying. To be clear, this camera records night colour video with black leds? They don't know that they are being recorded because there's no white light shining on them? If so how long has this been around for I certainly have never heard of it before but often wondered when it would arrive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:57 am 
Emperor
Emperor

So if that is the case so then colour night images with black leds would also be possible?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:08 am 

No, the cameras that have color night time pictures and videos give off a white light that is visible. The non cell camera uses a strobe flash for pictures and LED's for videos. The cellular camera uses LED's for both still pictures and videos. Spartan does have cameras that are blackflash where you can't see anything at all even when looking at the camera but the night images and videos on those cameras are black and white (color during the daytime)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:14 am 
Emperor
Emperor

johnnydeerhunter wrote:
No, the cameras that have color night time pictures and videos give off a white light that is visible. The non cell camera uses a strobe flash for pictures and LED's for videos. The cellular camera uses LED's for both still pictures and videos. Spartan does have cameras that are blackflash where you can't see anything at all even when looking at the camera but the night images and videos on those cameras are black and white (color during the daytime)

Ok so that is what I originally thought. I am afraid if you shine white light on our deer whilst trying to video them as in your video with the bunch of whitetails being fed they will spook and never return. Different country different deer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:18 am 

You never know until you try it, you might be surprised. I see less of a reaction from whiteflash than I do from cameras that have visible red LEDs. Truthfully I was worried about how the bobcat would react. I put that camera in that spot because I wanted some color cat videos and was happily surprised that it didn't care at all about it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:09 am 
Emperor
Emperor

johnnydeerhunter wrote:
You never know until you try it, you might be surprised. I see less of a reaction from whiteflash than I do from cameras that have visible red LEDs. Truthfully I was worried about how the bobcat would react. I put that camera in that spot because I wanted some color cat videos and was happily surprised that it didn't care at all about it.

I got it now, the Spartan cams use WHITE LED's (white light) whereas every other commercial cam uses IR LED's (red light) which is commonly referred to as low glow. What a simple difference that makes a world of difference.

My experience is that Bear, Elk, Cougar and Deer could give a hoot about IR LED lighting and the same can be said about the white flash from my cams. I have found that some Wolves will tolerate the white flash from my cams providing that it's not completely dark outside, such dusk or dawn. Wolves certainly do not like any source of lighting up close when it's dark out. They are far more tolerant of IR LED lighting from a distance. Elk, Deer, Bear and Cougar for the most part could care less about any lighting up close or far away. Bucks during the rut may be spooked easier but I would think that they are so hard wired to humping that they could care less, but I really don't know. These are from my observations of filming these animals on the Island.

Personally, I think that the whole IR (low glow) LED lighting was a sales gimmick. It was something new to sway hunters into buying those cameras. Claiming that white flash spooked game but that has not been consistent with my experiences. I for one will be very interested in trying out one of these new Spartan cams. For my Island Wolves I would try it out from a distance on them so I can observe their reaction. Like I said, they are more tolerant of lighting from a distance.

Thanks for your contribution here John,

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:35 am 

My experience with black bears is they don't like the red ir leds, the very very low glow they sometimes tolerate and the blackflash which is basically invisible they are fine with. I also haven't had an issue yet with them with the whiteflash. We are entering out breeding season and that's when they seem to be the most destructive so we're about to find out. They even used to whack my ir converted homebrews off the trees when they flashed.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:18 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Quote:
I also haven't had an issue yet with them with the whiteflash.

That's been my experience as well, white flash doesn't seem to bother any species as much as the red LEDs in some commercial cameras. To me the real advantage with red or black flash is that it reduces the chance of the camera being stolen, otherwise I'd much prefer color night videos.

All times are