Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:35 pm

All times are

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ Array ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: All in a days work.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:47 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Those jaguar photos are excellent -- worth a bent connector.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:16 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I guess it's been about a year since I posted anything in this thread. :)

Last week David and I installed another IP camera trap for some researchers looking at a milkweed to record the pollinators.

The equipment setup includes a remote IP security camera modified for close focus and infrared illumination.

The plant holder is a Wimberley PP-400 held in place with a little camo duct tape.

For power and internet connectivity we used a small trailer pulled by a ATV. On the trailer is a 150 watt solar panel, a weatherproof box containing the electronics and a external omni-directional cellular antenna on a mast..

In the box is a deep cycle marine battery, a 20 amp MPPT charge controller and charge system monitor. To connect and power the camera there is a POE switch, step-up power inverter, a cellular modem and router.

The IP camera is set up to record a still image every five minutes and record video when motion is detected. The still images are uploaded immediately to an FTP server to be viewed by the camera operator. The camera buffers five seconds of video at all times. When motion is detected the camera starts recording five seconds before actual motion detection and continues to record five seconds after motion ceases. Using this feature allows the user to see the insect arrive into the frame and depart. The video is recorded to a micro SD card in the camera and retrieved over the cellular link. Using a cellular link also enables the camera operator to stream live video, adjust the motion detection and camera settings remotely.

The video below is a timelapse of images taken over two consecutive nights.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:32 pm 
Royal
Royal

Truly Outstanding photos/video/project! I'm continually blown away by Jeff's knowledge and creative application.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:10 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I second that!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:08 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Home sweet home.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:26 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Nice!

https://www.instagram.com/caseysmarttphoto/
http://www.caseysmartt.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:40 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Beautiful shop!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:38 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Another few days in Nebraska servicing camera systems for the Platte Basin Timelapse project. It's been a busy fall and early winter. Here are a few shots of some of the field work.

This camera is one of two timelapse cameras that look over a wetland restoration project in central Nebraska.

I was greeted with a present from one of the many hawks and eagles.

Later in the day this happened.

Turns out, if that rod doesn't connect to the wheel, the wheels don't point in the same direction. That can be a problem. Especially when you are 50+ miles from the nearest part. After a bunch of phone calls I had the part and a few tools purchased and driven to the truck. Then after about an hour of pounding I finally removed the bad end and replaced the tie rod. Back on the road.

Here is a beautiful fall day in the sandhills of northcentral Nebraska. One of my favorite camera visit locations.

Same location a month later.

Last week I spent a few days in the sandhills again. It's +13 degrees but there was no wind that day so it wasn't too bad. This ranch has three timelapse cameras for the Platte Basin Timelapse project. The cameras are all linked to a hilltop hub that has cellular coverage. Each camera takes a daytime picture at the top and bottom of the hour and deposits the images in a cloud folder.

This is the hub site.

The solar panel produces 200 watts of power when it is not covered with ice, snow or bird poop. In the box is a 100ah gel battery, a MPPT charge regulator and the cell modem/router. The omni antenna on the structure is a aircraft ADS-B receive antenna. This receives location signals from aircraft. Here is a snapshot of how many aircraft are in the air over central and western Nebraska. This is definitely fly over country.

The data is uploaded to flightaware.com for their web site.

Here is one of the camera locations that upload through the hub site to plattebasintimelapse.com

Today was spent under a old railroad bridge over the Platte River. The railroad abandoned the bridge many years ago. It is now used as hiker-biker crossing of the river. At this location is a timelapse camera and a live video camera streaming to YouTube Live. You can watch the live stream here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAc8VTA5_z4

Here is a quick video showing the equipment under the bridge. There is a 150 watt solar panel on the sunny side of the bridge that feeds a 100ah gel battery.

That's about it. Looking forward to spring.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:34 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

As always interesting stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:45 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Of great interest to camtrappers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ Array ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

All times are