Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:13 pm

All times are

Post subject: 9 Volt battery life
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:29 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Typically what is everyone getting for duration out of a 9 volt alkaline battery. I do realize there are a few factors that effect this like cold weather, what the battery is running etc., but just wanting to see what duration others have had and experienced in their situation. 5 weeks, 2 months, 4 months etc. There are some control boards out there that use them as well as slave controllers. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, input will be well received. Thanks Daryl

Post subject: Re: 9 Volt battery life
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:50 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I don't know Daryl but I too would like to know that, good question.....I'll stay tuned as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:20 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Easily over 4 months and then more in my experience. On Gary's SSS website, it lists the current consumption of his board and the battery life expectancy can be easily calculated from that. Or you could measure it on your board and make the calculation. I run both 9V and the 950mAH batteries all winter and as long as they don't get a few thousand false triggers they are usually still running all winter. I usually do energizer 9V. There's a battery company that begins with an "Ra" that I never had good luck with.

I know you asked about 9V batteries but my personal favorite is the 3.6V 950mAH. It's cheaper overall and lasts longer then the 9V and for some board you can run it directly off the battery without a voltage regulator which uses power even when nothing is happening. Only problem that the 3.6V 950mAH battery puts out a constant voltage until right before it dies so you can't really know how much of it you have used unless you write the date you put it into your cam and change it on a regular schedule. Given that drawback it's still the best choice in my opinion if your board can run it. Hope some of that info was helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:37 am 

I've had them go longer than 4 months, but to play it safe I usually change them about every 4 months regardless. I've occasionally wrote the date on masking tape i installed a new battery but usually forget to pay attention when it dies.

All times are