Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are

Post subject: Beaver question ????
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:48 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I've had several cam traps out over the last 2 weeks to photograph Beaver. I had one cam aimed at his lodge and to my surprise I got pics of a Bear excavating it in search of Beaver. I then aimed the cam directly at the damaged part at 7 ft. away. 2 days later the lodge was repaired but no Beaver pics. I also had a cam aimed at an Alder tree about 10 ft. away. The tree was about 1/3 freshly chewed through, so I figured that this would be a dandy spot. 2 days later the tree was over halfway chewed through but still no pics. I even placed some castor on a branch in path of one of his presently used routes and a cam 5 ft. away..........still nothing.

I'm presently using both BF and SSll control boards in these particular cams with the sensitivity adjustment set to around 2:00. I have since moved the cams to within 5 ft. of where I hope that the Beaver will pass by, I now wait.

So as for my long drawn out question, has anybody else had similar experiences with these things? Any tips on what to try at this point?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Post subject: Re: Beaver question ????
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:46 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

It's hard to believe that beavers wouldn't be picked up by the PIR; Willy and some other folks have gotten plenty of beaver photos. I've had a camel cricket picked up by a Yeti board (20 times + over several days) and slugs picked up by a Bigfoot board (many, many times -- never counted how many photos there were over a few nights, but it was a lot!). The cricket's and the slugs' body temperatures must have been at, or very close to, that of the background.

If it was just one camera giving you problems the answer would be in the build or board. The only thing I could even guess at would be if the water's colder than the air and the beaver had enough cold water trapped in his guard hairs that it wouldn't be picked up by the PIR -- but that's reaching for a wild guess and I just can't see that actually happening.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:06 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Woody Meristem wrote:
It's hard to believe that beavers wouldn't be picked up by the PIR; Willy and some other folks have gotten plenty of beaver photos. I've had a camel cricket picked up by a Yeti board (20 times + over several days) and slugs picked up by a Bigfoot board (many, many times -- never counted how many photos there were over a few nights, but it was a lot!). The cricket's and the slugs' body temperatures must have been at, or very close to, that of the background.

If it was just one camera giving you problems the answer would be in the build or board. The only thing I could even guess at would be if the water's colder than the air and the beaver had enough cold water trapped in his guard hairs that it wouldn't be picked up by the PIR -- but that's reaching for a wild guess and I just can't see that actually happening.

Thanks Woody, ya now reading your point of view, I can now see that my impatience may have got the best of me this time. As always, I'll just keep at it and make fine adjustments from time to time and eventually the pics will come, they always do. I guess because it was an animal that I know very little about. I figured that there was something that I was overlooking, that's all.

I appreciate your input, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:50 am 

I've only set up for beaver a few times so I'm probably not much help but you have to get the cameras low.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:31 am 
Emperor
Emperor

johnnydeerhunter wrote:
I've only set up for beaver a few times so I'm probably not much help but you have to get the cameras low.

Thanks John, I'll make some adjustments next time I get up there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:24 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I had a similar experience. I had a commercial cam set up on a likely tree, and I did indeed get a series of pics of a beaver cutting it, but at the first pic, the beaver had already taken some bites out of it, meaning it walked up to the tree and bit into it a few times without getting it's picture taken. This commercial cam was pretty fast and super sensitive. It was raining that night, so I concluded that the wet beaver in the rain, with super insulated fur, just didn't have any temperature differential. Maybe until it got warmed up gnawing!

I've gotten plenty of photos of beavers at other times though.

First pic. The tree was untouched when I set up that camera.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:23 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Bkontio wrote:
I had a similar experience. I had a commercial cam set up on a likely tree, and I did indeed get a series of pics of a beaver cutting it, but at the first pic, the beaver had already taken some bites out of it, meaning it walked up to the tree and bit into it a few times without getting it's picture taken. This commercial cam was pretty fast and super sensitive. It was raining that night, so I concluded that the wet beaver in the rain, with super insulated fur, just didn't have any temperature differential. Maybe until it got warmed up gnawing!

I've gotten plenty of photos of beavers at other times though.

First pic. The tree was untouched when I set up that camera.

It was raining that night, so I concluded that the wet beaver in the rain, with super insulated fur, just didn't have any temperature differential.
Hey Brian, that's about what I had figured too. Like Johnny said, maybe I should get lower down to the subject which I did with one of the cams. I have yet to get stumped with an animal at close range providing that he doesn't move out of the frame. I'll see how things are tomorrow when I go back up there.

All times are