Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:15 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:26 am 
Emperor
Emperor

My intent of this post is to help show others that through post editing. Many of the pics that we get can be salvaged or greatly improved with a bit of experimenting with this process. These editing features are just a few of the ones that I use the most. Now there are many varieties of free and not so free editing programs out there. For my present needs these two programs suit me fine but the choice is vast and up to you.

The first program that I open up a picture with for editing is Jasc Paint Sop Pro 9 (ver. 9.00). In this program, my first order of business is to clean up the image. So with this Elk picture I wanted to use the CLONE feature and remove the shadows created by my camera's flash. As well as fine tuning the pixels around the eye. Such as removing the bluish and orange tinted pixels around the white eye's perimeter and replacing them with adjacent and more natural colours. Cloning is great for getting rid of water drops, spider webs, bugs, twigs.......well, you get the picture. Then I used the RED EYE REDUCTION feature to remove that white blob of an eye and create a more natural looking eye. Finally I decided to use the UNSHARP MASK feature to tweak the detail a bit. I then saved the edited image for further editing in another program.

In my second editing program, Canon ZoomBrowser EX 6.4 (ver.6.4.0.7). I opened the picture and went to the AUTO LEVEL ADJUSTMENT feature and applied that. This can also be accomplished to a finer detail by using the manual individual red, green and blue adjustment levers. Finally I opened the COLOUR ADJUSTMENT feature to tweak the brightness down a tad. I wanted to highlight the tree and branches just enough but not too much as to over expose the Elk's light coloured coat. That about does it for this picture I figured. I have taken what I thought was a good picture that was sadly, inherently flawed. Then refined it into something salvageable and pleasing to look at I thought.

There are many great features to explore, play and learn with in many of these editing programs. Of course as with some pics, even post editing has it's limitations. I hope this brief intro. into post editing was of some help to you, thanks.

Gary

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Array

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:03 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks a lot, Gary -- "doctoring" photos is a fine art, and you have a good handle on it. It is certainly one of the more enjoyable aspects of camera trapping, esp when you have a workable photo. More frustrating are photos with great subject matter but some glaring fault that can't be completely fixed. That's when I tell myself to go back, try again, and be patient.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:25 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Great info and great stuff

All times are