Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:45 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I returned from my 6th annual hunt. We arrived the evening of Saturday, April 4th to allow a full day on Sunday to do some scouting. We located a large flock with 5 Toms in it. My buddy and I split up and he took one edge of the property while I took the other, close to where some of them roosted. I set up too far away from where they flew down, but was able to draw one of the toms along with two hens to within 31.5 yards, but he wouldn't come in and started to head back to the safety of the rest of the flock. He dropped behind a burm, but I could still see over half of his body. I let an arrow go, but it deflected off of the top of the burm and went right over the top of him. Swing and a miss!

Day two, brought some more sightings, but nothing close. My buddy was able to arrow a tom and had a chance at a jake. We decided to sit together on the third day and after doing some scouting in the truck, we located a flock with 3 toms and 7 hens in it. This is a 80 acre chunk of public land located right on a main highway. We pulled around to the opposite side of the chunk, threw our gear on our backs and snuck across a drainage ditch and into a small, secluded clearing in the center of the chunk. Our calls immediately solicited a response and within just a few minutes, we had two of the toms in front of us. My shot was not initially fatal, and my buddy's was low. We had two wounded toms sitting in the timber about 50-60 yards from us. After about 20 minutes, we decided we had better make a move. They immediately busted us and ran off. We walked around to the opposite of the property and started our search. I backtracked and found some blood and feathers in the brush. After following the trail for about 50 yards, I came across my buddy's tom a short while later. He was in some brush on top of a little ridge about 10 yards inside the field edge. He took flight with his broken leg dangling behind him and flew over 300 yards across the highway, on to private property and out of our lives.

I continued the search for my tom and was about to cross a large cottonwood log that had fallen across a smaller drainage ditch, when I glanced to my right to see a turkey hugged up tight to the ditch bank at about a 60 degree angle. I pulled my range finder out to see if he was still alive, he didn't move a muscle, he didn't even blink an eye, and they were wide open. I knocked an arrow and let him have another at 12.5 yards, he careened right and plunged to the larger drainage ditch full of water. He made it across, ran up the bank and stopped on the top of the other side. I had to shimmy across a small beaver dam to get to the other side. I set my bow down, grabbed my knife and made a mad dash up the bank to catch him. He still had my second arrow in him and after a few short run attempts he became tangled in the brush and I finished him off.

Here is the shot video:

Attachment:
Tom.JPG

The fourth day brought about some action as well. We had 2 jakes come in, after two wayward arrows, my third finally found its mark. Unfortunately, it was a little low. The Jake ran off and after 30 minutes or so of searching some nasty, thick woods I ended the search and bowed my head in shame. (But stay tuned!)

Later that afternoon, 3 jakes came by and were very leary of our setup, they skirted the edge, came to about 35 yards, but then began to meander off. I asked my buddy how far they were as he had the range finder out. He replied 46 yards. I drew, settled my 40 yard pin slightly high and aimed at the one in the middle. I let the arrow go and it struck the middle bird, killing it right then and there. I hit it right in the beard where the neck joins the breast splitting his 4 inch beard in half. I was filled out.

Attachment:
Jake1.JPG

The fifth day was dedicated to finding the other 2 guys in our party some birds. We hunted that morning, but with no luck. In the afternoon, we entered the piece where I had wounded the jake, only on the opposite end. We were walking down the road into the lower field when off to the left in a very deep drainage ditch I noticed some awkward movement and a quick glimpse of black feathers. I declared, "That must be my jake!" The other 3 guys thought I was crazy and said it was just a crow. I took my pack and blind off my back, knocked an arrow and made my way up the drainage ditch. After rounding a bend, there he was trying to run up the ditch bank, I drew and arrowed him from behind at about 20 yards. Due to the circumstances, one of the other guys was gracious and allowed me to tag it with one of his tags. I called the KS DNR and they appreciated my honesty and allowed me to keep the bird.

Attachment:
Jake2.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Wilderness to the people of America is a spiritual necessity, an antidote to the high pressure of modern life, a means of regaining serenity and equilibrium."
- Sigurd Olson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:05 am 

Cool congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:32 pm 

Way to go Sean, congrats.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:32 am 
Emperor
Emperor

That is so awesome ... Would love to hunt those things some day... Great story Sean. Great outcome ..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:01 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

nice bird!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:54 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Sounds like a good trip. No video of you stealthing up the bank with your knife in your mouth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All times are