Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:02 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:29 pm 
Galapagos
Galapagos

A while ago I had a shutter door on one of my S600's partially close causing the lens to jam which resulted in some damage to it. So I decided to be a bit more radical with my future shutter door mods to avoid this happening again.....it's easy to do and once done there's NO WAY they'll ever get in the way again !

The pics are pretty self-explainatory but here's what I do :

1. Batteries in the camera...power it ON...then batteries OUT which leaves the lens extended.
2. Open the camera up by removing the 4 screws in the case.
3. Tape-up the LCD screen to stop it flapping about.
4. Remove the 5th screw...above the LCD so you can get the front cover off.

Now for the mod.
5. Clip off the red & black shutter door motor wires on the left of the rear board as shown....I de-solder the tabs too.

This is the NEW BIT :

6. With the 3 wires that come from the front of the camera to the rear board...grey, yellow & white....clip of the top and middle ones close and de-solder the tabs.

7. Cut the white (lower) one longer..about 3/4"..bare the free end, tin it and solder it to the middle tab point to make a wire jumper between the lower and middle solder points as shown in the pic. This "tricks" the S600 into thinking that all the stuff that's about to be removed in the next step from the front cover is still there. Sneakey !!

8. Remove the front of the camera...tape-up the flash cap solder points on the top LH of the main board...300+V there...OUCH !!
Undo the 3 screws shown in the pic, remove the shutter door motor, next pry-off the blue switch board then the black door gear surround thingo to expose the shutter doors t....remove the 2 shutter doors and their springs.

9. At this stage the black gear surround should be re-fitted....apart from holding-in the view finder glass it has a few little locating pins on it that make sure the lens assembly is line-up correctly.

10. Re-assemble the camera..and it's done !

You'll still get the "Turn Camera OFF & ON" message most times when switching from Review to Picture Mode...but I'll guarantee that you'll NEVER have your S600 shutter doors jam-up your camera lens again.

Heres' the pics....cheers from Down Under

35 Whelen

Array

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:11 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Very nice mod. That sure beats having the super glue come loose and the doors closing a bit.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:38 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Nice tutorial. That is some radical surgery!

"Wilderness to the people of America is a spiritual necessity, an antidote to the high pressure of modern life, a means of regaining serenity and equilibrium."
- Sigurd Olson

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:10 am 
Galapagos
Galapagos

Willy....it'll only take a few minutes to do and in reality you don't need any of that gear anyway....and the camera works perfectly without it too. It eleminates a few potential issues....the doors partially closing and damaging the lens as it gets stuck trying to extend and a malfunction of either of those two switches on the blue board that end up giving error messages making the camera malfunction. Easier to get the front cover on & off to for maintenance work without having to worry about those 3 little board wires getting busted too I reckon. I do all my S600 mods like that now.....anyone need a few shutter doors or door motors ?
Cheers

35Whelen

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:06 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Awesome tip !! Thanks for sharing !!

:rockon

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:06 am 

Any idea if this will work with the fast hack mod :?:

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:31 am 
Emperor
Emperor

johnnydeerhunter wrote:
Any idea if this will work with the fast hack mod :?:

X2 what he asked?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:20 pm 
Galapagos
Galapagos

JDH & Modeclan....I only do the 3 wire hacks for the S600 and have never tried the 4 wire. Only one way to find out I guess....and if it doesn't work then it's easy enough to put the gear back into the front of the case anyway. Interested to hear how you get on if you give it a try. Cheers

35Whelen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:47 am 

I checked with Mark at Yeti and he says this will NOT work with the fast hack.

EDIT: I think you can just remove the jumper and solder the lens wire (fasthack wire) where it goes and it should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:35 am 
Emperor
Emperor

My fast hack works with it. I'll get it tore apart and see how I did it. I didn't make the loop I do know. The concern I have is all that open space between the flash and lens. Do you get bleed internally?

Edit: Its in the woods. I believe I soldered my fast hack wire where it is supposed to be and left the other wires unattached.

All times are