Fledgling
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:21 pm

All times are

Post subject: New guy from Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:42 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Hey guys...
Avid trail cam user and whitetail hunter here...
I have used commercial trail cams for the past 25 years or so, or whenever they really got going... I am somewhat frustrated by the constant blurry pics I get with these camera's. I mean, they let me know what's running around in my woods, but I really want to get better pics. From what I hear, theses home brew camera's take alot better quality pics, so I would love to learn how to do it.
I am really really green on this. Meaning, I have never even seen anyone make one. I honestly don't know much of anything about the electronics end of things to do this... Is it even possible for a new guy like me to pull off making one of these camera's without a seasoned veteran there next to me guiding me through the whole thing? Is there any video's out there on how to make your own trail camera 101 ?
I have been talking to Jeremi a little about this, but to tell the truth, I feel a little overwhelmed about making my own from scratch.... My dream camera, would be the one he made with the Canon SL1, and speed lights. But again, I feel like I might be over my head on this....
What do you guys think, can a new guy like myself get it done? I don't know of anyone that live close to me that could guide me through it. So I probably would be relying on video's or guidance from you guys...

Thanks for any info you can give me to get started on building my own cam trap!

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:22 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Years ago I was in the same position as you. I gathered up a pile of information and then me and a buddy looked at the information and contacted a few people and then decided it was way over my head. I never had any experience and thought it was something that I just would not be able to tackle. So I bought some home brews from Jeremi years ago. Then I was introduced to this site and was fortunate to take a workshop up here in Saskatchewan put on by Jeremi. The rest is now history as I have built many many cameras. I am still learning but now understand the lingo for he most part whereas in the beginning it was tuff. But I am stubborn and stuck it out. This is the place to learn. This forum and other forums are a wealth of knowledge. Start with easy and work your way up. I will never forget the first camera that took my picture. It was made possible and thanks to everyone that is a member of this site. It was not easy but there are many ways to get into this hobby. Starting with a kit is also a great option. I am sure many others will chime in to this post as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:15 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Welcome aboard Jay. It can be a little overwhelming to start but don't be afraid to ask questions.

kdornski and pdksal are both from Wisconsin and a couple other if I remember correctly
John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:10 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Welcome Bones. Ghosthunters summed it up well. It can be frustrating, but the reward outweighs any possible negatives by a mile. There are several of us cheeseheads located around the badger state that frequent the various forums. If you want a little pep talk, send one of us a message. No particular order, just a snapshot. I'm in south central, speed2spare is SW, 1encore is SE, jjksf is NW, kdornski is NE. There are others also, just thought I'd scratch down a few names.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:35 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Hi Bones and welcome to the forum. Where about in Wisconsin are you from?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:39 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

kdornski wrote:
Hi Bones and welcome to the forum. Where about in Wisconsin are you from?

Just west of Madison, about 35 miles.

Thanks for the Welcome guys, really looking forward to learning and researching this new hobby.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:48 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Paul or Tom would be closest to you but if you come to Green Bay area I can help you too

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:36 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

ghosthunters wrote:
Years ago I was in the same position as you. I gathered up a pile of information and then me and a buddy looked at the information and contacted a few people and then decided it was way over my head. I never had any experience and thought it was something that I just would not be able to tackle. So I bought some home brews from Jeremi years ago. Then I was introduced to this site and was fortunate to take a workshop up here in Saskatchewan put on by Jeremi. The rest is now history as I have built many many cameras. I am still learning but now understand the lingo for he most part whereas in the beginning it was tuff. But I am stubborn and stuck it out. This is the place to learn. This forum and other forums are a wealth of knowledge. Start with easy and work your way up. I will never forget the first camera that took my picture. It was made possible and thanks to everyone that is a member of this site. It was not easy but there are many ways to get into this hobby. Starting with a kit is also a great option. I am sure many others will chime in to this post as well.

Well you certainly explained it better than I could have, my sediments exactly. To further the kit idea, drop JohnnyDeerHunter (member here) an email. He sells excellent kits and will even do the hack for you if you send him the cam. You still get that intimate exposure to building your first cam but minus most of the typical first timer mistakes. A lot of folks here started out with the kit cam before taking on a build from scratch. Oh, before I forget, welcome to the forum Bones.

Post subject: New guy from Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:39 pm 

Welcome bones! I do think starting off with a point n shoot is you best option for starting out and as mentioned previously a kit is a great way to go.

One thing you might not not know about me is that I worked and lived out of Madison for 6 months back in 2001. Loved it there

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:09 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Bones, welcome to the best forum on camera trapping...lot's of info on building cams in the home-brew builds and modifications...open up the posts and read up...get a kit like the other guys have recommended for your 1st build and then go from there...after awhile, you'll be an old hand..you can spend days looking at it all...just a little dedication, time and you'll see how simple it really is...!! best of luck and let us know how it goes...!

:old

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

All times are