Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:39 am

All times are

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:57 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Predator 1 wrote:
Welcome bones! I do think starting off with a point n shoot is you best option for starting out and as mentioned previously a kit is a great way to go.

One thing you might not not know about me is that I worked and lived out of Madison for 6 months back in 2001. Loved it there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, a point and shoot it will be.... Looking forward to it...

No, I didn't know you lived in Madison, that's pretty cool. May I ask what you did for a living back then?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:09 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I'd start out with a Sony S600 then send to Johnnydeerhunter to hack and get a kit from him also for it. You still have to assemble the kit but you wont have any oops. The S600 has a great flash so you won't need an extra flash for the build and it takes great pictures

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:57 am 
Emperor
Emperor

westcocanuck2 wrote:
ghosthunters wrote:
Years ago I was in the same position as you. I gathered up a pile of information and then me and a buddy looked at the information and contacted a few people and then decided it was way over my head. I never had any experience and thought it was something that I just would not be able to tackle. So I bought some home brews from Jeremi years ago. Then I was introduced to this site and was fortunate to take a workshop up here in Saskatchewan put on by Jeremi. The rest is now history as I have built many many cameras. I am still learning but now understand the lingo for he most part whereas in the beginning it was tuff. But I am stubborn and stuck it out. This is the place to learn. This forum and other forums are a wealth of knowledge. Start with easy and work your way up. I will never forget the first camera that took my picture. It was made possible and thanks to everyone that is a member of this site. It was not easy but there are many ways to get into this hobby. Starting with a kit is also a great option. I am sure many others will chime in to this post as well.

Well you certainly explained it better than I could have, my sediments exactly. To further the kit idea, drop JohnnyDeerHunter (member here) an email. He sells excellent kits and will even do the hack for you if you send him the cam. You still get that intimate exposure to building your first cam but minus most of the typical first timer mistakes. A lot of folks here started out with the kit cam before taking on a build from scratch. Oh, before I forget, welcome to the forum Bones.

Open up this link for more info. http://www.Trailcamkits.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:22 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

So, with these kits, wondering about battery life. Meaning, I see you can put an external battery source in the set up. I'm not sure what battery's go in them, maybe AA's? How many pics can a guy expect to get out of one set of batteries? Just curious is all, and I suppose it depends on weather temps, but lets just say in the fall time, with temps being 60's for high, and 40's for a low.... And I don't know if it matters if I'm using the p41, or 600? Does one draw more juice than the other?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:43 am 

The 600 will draw a bit more power then the P41. On a set of internal AAs you can get around 700 pics on a P41 and 500 on a S600. This will vary Depending on battery type and number f flash photos taken etc. Adding one set of external AAs will double that, adding two sets of external AAs will triple that. Using one set of C cells would be equivalent to running two sets of AAs and running one set of D cells would be like running 4 sets of AAs. With the new low discharge NIMh batts you will be limited more by photo numbers than duration.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:12 am 
Emperor
Emperor

There are a few things to consider when deciding what camera to use/get
How will the camera be used (set in close or covering an open area)
How long will it be in between camera checks (this will tell you if you need external power and how much and size of case you will want/need
Type of memory card the camera uses
Price of camera
Will it be an IR camera in the future

These are a few theres lots more im sure that are important to others. Then after you have your camera picked out you can buy the kit if going that route or start comparing the control boards from the different vendors.
Things sound complicated at first but just ask questions as you go along with your build and take your time to lay things out the way you want them before starting to drill your case. But when you get your first picture from a setup you made you will be hooked for life. And the main thing is to enjoy your build and the vast knowledge you will pick up along the way

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:16 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Predator 1 wrote:
The 600 will draw a bit more power then the P41. On a set of internal AAs you can get around 700 pics on a P41 and 500 on a S600. This will vary Depending on battery type and number f flash photos taken etc. Adding one set of external AAs will double that, adding two sets of external AAs will triple that. Using one set of C cells would be equivalent to running two sets of AAs and running one set of D cells would be like running 4 sets of AAs. With the new low discharge NIMh batts you will be limited more by photo numbers than duration.

Thanks, that gives me a better idea.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:21 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

kdornski wrote:
There are a few things to consider when deciding what camera to use/get
How will the camera be used (set in close or covering an open area)
How long will it be in between camera checks (this will tell you if you need external power and how much and size of case you will want/need
Type of memory card the camera uses
Price of camera
Will it be an IR camera in the future

These are a few theres lots more im sure that are important to others. Then after you have your camera picked out you can buy the kit if going that route or start comparing the control boards from the different vendors.
Things sound complicated at first but just ask questions as you go along with your build and take your time to lay things out the way you want them before starting to drill your case. But when you get your first picture from a setup you made you will be hooked for life. And the main thing is to enjoy your build and the vast knowledge you will pick up along the way

I definitely would be using cam for closer shots, inside 25 feet, or as close as 5 feet. I really do think I would want the external battery source, as I usually leave cams out 5 to 6 weeks.

Are these cam setups able to take multi shot (3), like my commercial cameras?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:31 am 

I would go with an S600 in a pelican 1020 case using a sniper SS2 and 1 set of AA externals. It's simple basic build and you would be happy with the performance and photo quality. The SS2 has two time delay options trail and feeder. Feeder is a 1 min delay and trail will take a pic at every movement. Using trail
Mode you often get several pics of the same animal but I bet Gary from SSS can program a burst mode. One idea would be to program the burst mode in when using the feeder mode. So it would take let's say 3 pics every trigger but delay for 1 min after that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:35 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Ok, sounds like trail mode would be just fine for what I want... Thanks for the suggestions guys!

All times are