Fledgling
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:42 pm

All times are

Post subject: Diving in
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:20 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hi Everyone!
My name is Larry. I'm an artist living in Marfa, TX and I'm new to all of this! I initially came across this goldmine of a site two nights ago while researching camera housings for a fast-approaching public sculpture commission that I'm working on. Today, I figured I would sign up and try to "lay it all out" in hopes of gaining some input and expertise from everyone on what I have going.
In short, I'm building a camera trap in order to capture images of birds on a perch (wings tucked, not flying) in the middle of downtown NYC. The final contraption necessary to make this goal happen will essentially be the sculpture.
For the camera equipment, I have a Canon 5DS with a Canon EF50mm f/1.2L USM lens, two (three if necessary) Canon 600EXII-RT Speedlites and a Cognisys Sabre triggering device. All will be powered from one 20 amp GFI outlet using AC adapters for each component. Ideally I'm looking for a plug and play solution using TTL mode to get the best images that I can. I'm hoping to make all of this work without custom modifications to the equipment. At this point those type of mods are out of my league! This all seem possible? Any foreseeable problems?

As for the housings, I'm anticipating lots of modifications here, and after browsing the site, it seems y'all have worked-out some kinks! I was thinking each component will be individually housed using modified Pelican-type cases. Just to complicate things even further (!), each of the housed components will be mounted onto horizontal brackets and set atop a steel 30' tilt-over pole normally used for large street lights. The camera and the speedlites will be mounted no more than 4' from the perch which will be baited with seed and suet. The entire apparatus will be exhibited outdoors for the duration of one year and will be on a 1-2 week maintenance schedule. The payload for the entire photo setup ( camera, lights, brackets, housings etc.) cannot exceed 200lbs. Everything except for the functional setup of the photo equiptment has to be approved by what seems like a small army of engineers ( electrical , structural and tower,) ugh.
My initial impulse is to go with an aluminum "elephant proof" solution, primarily for the strength of the connection of the housing to the brackets. If weight restrictions prohibit this solution, has anyone had trouble with the polypropylene of the cases or the gasketing showing UV damage with prolonged exposure? Is there a rule of thumb for the size, material and color of the snorkel relative to the size of the lens. Do most folks thread the end of the snorkel to receive a larger factory made UV filter? Is there a snorkel-to-case connection method that most folks prefer? I could keep going with questions!
I apologize in advance if any of this is already covered in existing threads.
I look forward to hearing from folks. I appreciate your time.
Larry

Post subject: Re: Diving in
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:33 pm 

Welcome aboard here LABrat! I wanted to reply mainly so that you didn't feel ignored. That type of set is a bit out of my league. There are a few guys on here though that might be able to help...TRLcam, JohnnyA, Tigerhunter are some that come to mind. Hopefully they see this and respond if they can help. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:46 pm 

Larry, here's a link to a DSLR build, what you want to do can be done. I like to go with a larger case for the camera and no snorkel for the lens. I feel sometimes the lens sticking out past the sensor fresnel can block some of the detection area. Adding power from an AC adapter shouldn't be too difficult either.

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=10549

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:44 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Thanks Predator!
Johnny, thanks for the link. That build is awesome!
'No Snorkel,' thats good news! I'm curious as to how you detailed the lens port on the camera case though. Is there some sort of protective lens sealed to the case that is separate from the lens of the camera?
Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:59 pm 

There's an oversized UV filter attached to the case and the camera lens sits behind it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:01 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Thank you!

All times are