Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:27 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:28 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I have been setting up trail cams for around a year. Always in the mountains around LA. I am slowly getting better at finding interesting spots. Here are some shots of a mountain lion. I had one picture of it already this summer but now that it has rained it seems the animal is coming back more, around maybe twice per month. Once I am getting more predictable results I will try setting up a DSLR trap.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:26 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Welcome new LA guy. That's a good looking animal, well done.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:46 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Looks like a promising spot. Can’t wait to see your DSLR results. The spot could be a true producer and the DSLR will make them pics pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:48 am 
Emperor
Emperor

You are off to a good start. And now that you know the cat's path, you could move the camera for a different angle -- maybe a little more to the left???

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:27 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

ghosthunters wrote:
Looks like a promising spot. Can’t wait to see your DSLR results. The spot could be a true producer and the DSLR will make them pics pop.

Does anybody know if mountain lions have regular paths? This one was seen twice during almost 2 months but I am not sure if it will come back. there is water at that spot right now but if it doesn't rain again it will soon dry out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:54 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

aswrwwe wrote:
ghosthunters wrote:

Does anybody know if mountain lions have regular paths? This one was seen twice during almost 2 months but I am not sure if it will come back. there is water at that spot right now but if it doesn't rain again it will soon dry out.

Hopefully others who have cougars in their area chime in and have some feedback and info

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:22 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Definitely an exciting catch, well done.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:40 am 
Emperor
Emperor

The definitely use the same paths, but can go off course anywhere, and often wander off of game trails. I have many clips of them tracing the same path.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:02 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Well aswrwwe, how to answer your question.
Yes, in my experiences, if a cat walks a certain trail. It or others will most certainly walk that trail again. It may be the next day or 3 months from now. There are so many factors at play here that will decide that. Such as if it's a female, smaller home range or a male, larger home range. There is no set schedule whatsoever for a Cougar. I have also found that if one cat walks on one side of a particular trail. It will most certainly favour that same side of the trail, coming or going but don't ask me why. I have found if a cat makes a scratch pile. That cat as well as other cats will revisit that scratch pile. Even after a year and there is no sign of that original scratch pile. Certain cats will still stop at that location again and again, regardless of the age or the visible condition of the scratch pile.

You know for certain that a cat has been at that exact spot of yours and that is a good thing. It doesn't mean that it will continue on that same trail for long. It may veer off on another game trail shortly afterwards. I would make a mock scratch pile off to the side of that exact spot. Peeing on it or adding some sort of smell like Beaver castor, will usually give you a few more photo opportunities. I would be very surprised that if that cat or any other were to walk past it and not stop to smell it. Cats (males) will often make these off to the sides of trails and most often at game trail junctions. I would suggest that you place 2 more cams on that trail. One before that location and one past that location. Not too far away from that location either. If you get a cat picture, then you can expand the cam further down that trail. What you want to determine is how far the cat travels that trail. Best to place the cams at game trail junctions where another trail intersects that trail. I can only speak in terms of my areas where I camtrap. I tend to favour areas where Deer travel and feed which is usually along creeks and bodies of water. As with all wildlife I camtrap, I never go after an animal in hopes finding it. I find where it has been and wait for it to return. If that makes any sense. The main thing here is you now know that there is a cat living in this area. All you have to do is try and determine where it travels most often. Have a look at this post for more info on cats.........viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12133

I know that David, AKA (Cobowhunter) he's been away from here for a few months though. Arthur, AKA (Arthur) :) and Dan, AKA (Danpotter) are a few good guys that come to mind and they know their cats very well. Have a good look through their postings for any tips that they have shared with the forum over the years. If you have any other questions, you can also contact me direct via PM on the forum. I'll share with you what I know if you are interested.

Good luck,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:19 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

westcocanuck2 wrote:
Well aswrwwe, how to answer your question.
Yes, in my experiences, if a cat walks a certain trail. It or others will most certainly walk that trail again. It may be the next day or 3 months from now. There are so many factors at play here that will decide that. Such as if it's a female, smaller home range or a male, larger home range. There is no set schedule whatsoever for a Cougar. I have also found that if one cat walks on one side of a particular trail. It will most certainly favour that same side of the trail, coming or going but don't ask me why. I have found if a cat makes a scratch pile. That cat as well as other cats will revisit that scratch pile. Even after a year and there is no sign of that original scratch pile. Certain cats will still stop at that location again and again, regardless of the age or the visible condition of the scratch pile.

You know for certain that a cat has been at that exact spot of yours and that is a good thing. It doesn't mean that it will continue on that same trail for long. It may veer off on another game trail shortly afterwards. I would make a mock scratch pile off to the side of that exact spot. Peeing on it or adding some sort of smell like Beaver castor, will usually give you a few more photo opportunities. I would be very surprised that if that cat or any other were to walk past it and not stop to smell it. Cats (males) will often make these off to the sides of trails and most often at game trail junctions. I would suggest that you place 2 more cams on that trail. One before that location and one past that location. Not too far away from that location either. If you get a cat picture, then you can expand the cam further down that trail. What you want to determine is how far the cat travels that trail. Best to place the cams at game trail junctions where another trail intersects that trail. I can only speak in terms of my areas where I camtrap. I tend to favour areas where Deer travel and feed which is usually along creeks and bodies of water. As with all wildlife I camtrap, I never go after an animal in hopes finding it. I find where it has been and wait for it to return. If that makes any sense. The main thing here is you now know that there is a cat living in this area. All you have to do is try and determine where it travels most often. Have a look at this post for more info on cats.........https://camtrapper.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12133

I know that David, AKA (Cobowhunter) he's been away from here for a few months though. Arthur, AKA (Arthur) :) and Dan, AKA (Danpotter) are a few good guys that come to mind and they know their cats very well. Have a good look through their postings for any tips that they have shared with the forum over the years. If you have any other questions, you can also contact me direct via PM on the forum. I'll share with you what I know if you are interested.

Good luck,

Thanks a lot! This is great info. I think I have to quit my job and do this full time! Tracking down these animals is a lot of fun but takes a lot of time.

All times are