Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:18 am

All times are

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Rasberry Pi Camera Module is now available for $25. Jeff, did you pull the trigger yet?

"Wilderness to the people of America is a spiritual necessity, an antidote to the high pressure of modern life, a means of regaining serenity and equilibrium."
- Sigurd Olson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:06 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

wolvenkinde wrote:
Found another review(seemed to also be a good in depth test) that claims the Lx5 is 2.8 seconds from startup to first pic...so maybe not a speed demon and I am not sure but guess you could fiddle with settings to achieve what Dpreview did when they claimed 1.4 secs.

Yours looks like a promising candidate for sure Paul...different direction in application than what I proposed, but I do like the fixed lens.

Seems pretty standard speed for the panasonic cameras.

I played with a Canon a couple of years ago, don't remember the model but posted some pics on here with a slave flash. Seemed really interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:01 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Willy wrote:
The Rasberry Pi Camera Module is now available for $25. Jeff, did you pull the trigger yet?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to try one out.

edit.......I can't find a supplier with stock. Do you have a link you can post?

edit #2......I should have looked at Willy's post date before answering. :Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:43 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I'm now working on a Canon G-10 that takes nice photos and will make a nice trail cam. It's still not that cheap on eBay and Amazon (about two hundred bucks used). It has a shutter port like the older Canon DSLRs (stereo-like plug) and the cam can be set to always-on with the lens extended. I'm waiting on a battery adapter and will be using four 18650 4.2 volt (output 8.4 volts) lithium batteries for externals in the beginning. If that is not enough, a larger battery pack will be needed. A Yeti or SSII board will trigger the cam. You can say the G-10,11,12, etc) is between a small 'point-and-shoot' and a 'DSLR', and hook-up is great with no internal hack needed. I will be posting this sometime soon.

TH

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:47 am 

Cool Bruce looking forward to it!

Pred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:11 am 
Emperor
Emperor

tiger hunter wrote:
I'm now working on a Canon G-10 that takes nice photos and will make a nice trail cam. It's still not that cheap on eBay and Amazon (about two hundred bucks used). It has a shutter port like the older Canon DSLRs (stereo-like plug) and the cam can be set to always-on with the lens extended. I'm waiting on a battery adapter and will be using four 18650 4.2 volt (output 8.4 volts) lithium batteries for externals in the beginning. If that is not enough, a larger battery pack will be needed. A Yeti or SSII board will trigger the cam. You can say the G-10,11,12, etc) is between a small 'point-and-shoot' and a 'DSLR', and hook-up is great with no internal hack needed. I will be posting this sometime soon.

TH

Love the G series Canon cameras. The G15 is my carry camera when I can't pack a DSLR. The problem with using them as a camera trap camera is the lack of a good sleep mode. With the auto power down setting turned off and the display dimmed at 10 seconds the camera still draws 50ma. In this mode the stock 7.4v 1050mAh battery lasts about 20 hours. When it's taking a picture it draws a little over 300ma. I have built quite a few of the G series into housings to use with a long range remote for short term projects. Photographers love them for the RAW shooting ability and the image quality is excellent.

Good luck with your build. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 am 

Has anybody tried or thought of trying a canon S95, S110 etc. I've read good reviews for image quality from these cams...I think you can shoot raw as well, but they are more of a PandS cam than SLR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:41 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Due to excessive power consumption, I will be using this cam around the ranger station where I can check-up on it every day if needed...My usual duration here is 4-5 days and both leopard and tiger sometimes walk through..! Thanks to TRLcam and Pred for your comments...I can make-up a bigger battery pack if the 4-18560s is not enough for the short stint I have in mind, much like the S600 and external pack hooked by stereo plug in michiganbowbender's long-term 1020/S600 post. Thanks to him too for a great idea. I look forward to using this cam myself as I have seen the files; they are nice with good saturation and color...!

Cheers,
TH

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:10 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I received a couple of the Raspberry Pi cameras yesterday. Pretty cool. Even snaps pics in RAW format.

All times are