Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:29 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:27 am 

I keep getting PMs asking for this stuff, so I'm going to make a post with it. There are some other options out there as well. These are the ones that I have used with success.

Programming Cable

You will need a programming cable. The options are Serial to Serial or USB to Serial. Most new computers do not have a serial port on them. The USB cable is $26. The Serial to Serial is $5.95You may find them cheaper on eBay, but there is no promise they will work properly. If you go that route, you do it at your own peril. If you purchase the Serial to Serial, you can get a USB to Serial adapter on ebay for a few dollars.

Programming Kits/Circuits

You can build your own programming circuit, or just buy a kit with everything to assemble. I suggest either the 8 pin Proto Kit for $3.95, or 08M Starter Pack for $14.95. A word of caution; these have 9V style battery snaps, but they ARE NOT FOR 9V BATTERIES. They are for 3AA battery holders with battery snaps. You can see one pictured in the 08M Starter Pack.

Pic Axe Chips

You can buy chips from phanderson.com or a few other places. If you are planning to use the 08M, check SnapshotSniper for them and support a supplier.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:00 am 

Good info Tony, I just want to add make sure you get the right chips, there are 20m, 20X2 and various others for the different amount of pins. There are also other picaxe chips that are blank, they don't have the picaxe programming info in them and won't work in the applications that we need them to.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:33 am 

That's a good point. I know a few guys ordered the 20M for the AIO boards when they should have bought the 20x2 chips. It's an easy mistake to make.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:38 pm 
Royal
Royal

Great info there Tony. I think I am going to have to oder the $4 one and give this Picaxe stuff a look at least. I know we will need to download a program or editor or something like that as well. Do you happen to have a prefered version or versions of each and links to them possibly? If you do, maybe edit your post and put the info there as well. I am hoping once I get one of these together and get a program on there I can figure out how to adjust the settings on the SS board. And hopefully be able to tweak the settings on the AIO programs you guys come up with as well.

Thanks,

John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:49 pm 

If all you plan to do is mess with the AIO board then just get a programming cable and a jack for the other end of it. If you want to really play with stuff, get a project board or proto board. I actually don't use any of them anymore since I have a few bread boards.

All times are