Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:28 am 
King
King

Well, it's not pretty and I'm going to figure out a better way to mount the PIR module but here it is! My first working control board! I used the basic board layout that I used for my timelapse boards and just added the circuitry for the PIR module. I got this one off of ebay for about $5 shipped from a seller in the US. I loaded the 08M with some test code that turned on the LED, turned the cam on, takes a picture, turns the cam off, LED off then goes into walktest. It loops this over and over once walktest times out. So the basic functionality is there. Now just need to load the real code onto the 08M and I should have a working control board! And yes!! I'M EXCITED!

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:26 am 

That's pretty cool. I was going to try something like that, but didn't like the lens on the PIR. I was looking in China for them on eBay because they weren't that cheap in the US when I did find them here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:13 am 
King
King

I don't really care for the lense either but I'm going to try it out as is and on the second one I may try a HPWA. I can't get to ebay while I'm at work but do a search for PIR module and then have it sort for US only and you should see the seller. I think they're $4.99 plus .99 shipping. Don't buy them all though cause I plan to order a couple more myself. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:48 am 

I won't buy more than 1 or 2 if I grab some. I typically build my own PIR circuit with an op amp.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:00 am 
King
King

Do you have a schematic for the PIR circuit you use? I was going to try and just use the one off of the AIO schematic. Wondering if you have a simpler one?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:25 pm 

The one on the AIO, the Yeti, and the one I have are identical or darn near identical. I'll have to dig it up. I put it on a breadboard and it works nicely. I'm slowly building a control board on the breadboard.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:03 am 
King
King

Just wanted to update everyone... Built revision 2 of the board last night. This one has .020" traces. I removed the programming interface and turned the resistors up on their ends. Wound up being about 1" x 1.75". I tried going smaller but I'm new to etching PCBs and wasn't comfortable with some of the clearances around some of the components. There are a few other minor changes I am going to make to the layout but nothing major. Now I just need to get to working on a homebrew PIR module. However, if the ones I got off ebay work it may not be worth the time. Anyway, just thought I'd update this thread.....

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some excellent work Matt. You guys amaze me.

"Wilderness to the people of America is a spiritual necessity, an antidote to the high pressure of modern life, a means of regaining serenity and equilibrium."
- Sigurd Olson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:13 pm 
King
King

Current draw measurements for those interested....

Well lit room

Idle = .64mA
LED on = 8.10mA
PIR event = 1.09mA

Dark room

Idle = .64mA
LED on = 7.77mA
PIR Event = 1.10mA

Obviously the LED is the biggest current draw. When setting idle with power to the PIR module I show an average of .64mA. When the PIR is triggered it jumps to 1.10mA before the LED lights up during the walktest.

Have not tested current draw when cam power or shutter is activated.

Matt

All times are