Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:27 am

All times are

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:08 am 
Galapagos
Galapagos

Good morning guys
I've built my first mirroless (sony a5100) homebrew!
Very happy with the littel case and the camtraptions wireless pir… but there's a trouble with the cam battery autonomy that in 2 days drains…
I've bought a battery pack (20.000 mAh) connect to the cam with dummy battery to increase the autonomy and i discovered that when the cam go to sleep mode the battery pack shot down and to turn it back i've to press manually the button on…
So I wrote you to ask any suggestions… there's a way I can use this battery pack or another one that dont have this problem or I've to change way to increase the autonomy that you can tell me?
thank's for your suport

here a pic of the sony and a pair of shots taken in the my garden

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

https://bekincrus.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a common feature with most of the li-ion portable chargers. They are made to charge the battery and turn off when finished. So, when your camera goes to sleep it draws much less current and the charger thinks it is done. So it shuts off. There are models out there that do not have this feature.

Question: Does your dummy battery take 5 volts or 12 volts from the portable charger and convert it to 7.2 volts for the camera? If so, the boost or buck converter in the dummy battery draws more power to go from 5/12 volts to 7.2 volts.

Your stock a5100 battery puts out 7.2 volts at about 1000mAh. So, it is two li-ion cells in series. You can do the same with two 18650 or 26650 li-ion cells in series and eliminate the charger box and any buck/boost converter. This is much more efficient, economical and probably smaller.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:00 am 
Galapagos
Galapagos

thank you Jeff :awesome
this sure help me, I like your last option! coul you tell me what autonomy can have with the 26650 cell? can I utilize more than 2 cell? I'll leave the cam in mountain for a month or more.
For your question about volts I dont know, I only test it and it goes…

Now I've new question for you: the dummy battery I've bought (Andoer NP-FW50) have a male/female jack that end with a usb port to connect with the powerbank, do you think I can use it for your last option? can you kindly tell me how I can do that? eventually a picture can help me on what I can realize that.

thank you very much
Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your battery life is going to depend on how many times the camera is triggered, how long it takes the camera to go back to sleep, temperature and if there is anything else drawing current from the battery. I typically measure battery life by memory card size. If I am going to use a 64gb card then I use a battery that will run the camera trap long enough to fill it. That may take six hours or six weeks. It all depends on the amount of activity.

Is this your adapter?

If it is, it is made to take 5vdc from the USB power supply and boost it to 7.4vdc. In the dummy battery is a boost (step-up) converter to do that. They are typically not very efficient. What you need is an adapter that does not step-up or step-down.

Something like this would work. Then you could use the NP-F battery.

The NP-F battery is rechargeable and available in one voltage and three capacities.

Inside the battery are 18650 cells. The smallest battery has two cells in series to make the 7.4vdc at 2200mAh required by the camera. That's a little over two times the size of the stock battery.
The mid size is 5000mAh and the largest size is 7900mAh. Using the NP-F tray and battery in a trap and powering everything with it makes for quick battery swap when servicing the camera trap. No more carrying a couple dozen AA batteries or batteries of differing size.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:35 pm 
Galapagos
Galapagos

What an explanation, really courteous and professional!
I'll follow your advice
Thank you very much Jeff
Greetings from Brembana valley - Italy
Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Prego

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:45 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Excellent advice Jeff. Do you have links to where one could get the dummy battery and those 3 beefed up cells?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The batteries are very common and used in many video products. Go to Amazon and search "NP-F batteries". Around here they are available in most camera stores and some Walmarts.

For the adapter search on Amazon for "NP-F to NP-FW50". That's for the Sony camera but for any other camera replace the NP-FW50 with your camera model battery.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:53 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

-jeff wrote:
The batteries are very common and used in many video products. Go to Amazon and search "NP-F batteries". Around here they are available in most camera stores and some Walmarts.

For the adapter search on Amazon for "NP-F to NP-FW50". That's for the Sony camera but for any other camera replace the NP-FW50 with your camera model battery.

Thanks Jeff, well there we go Bekincrus :cheers

All times are