PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:59 pm 
King
King

Thank you! ...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:13 pm 
King
King

One last question. My plan is to use the Nikon SB-28's as my future slave flashes going forward. This way, I can use them with my DSLR builds. On the sb28 slave flash build, the receiver can be placed directly on the hot shoe connector. Just to clarify, this will eliminate the need for a controller within the slave flash enclosure .... correct? As I understand it, that particular flash already has a pretty reliable sleep mode.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:06 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Theoutdoorsman wrote:
One last question. My plan is to use the Nikon SB-28's as my future slave flashes going forward. This way, I can use them with my DSLR builds. On the sb28 slave flash build, the receiver can be placed directly on the hot shoe connector. Just to clarify, this will eliminate the need for a controller within the slave flash enclosure .... correct? As I understand it, that particular flash already has a pretty reliable sleep mode.

Correct on all counts and no need for a flash control board at all.

The battery run time of the remote triggers is not very good (week at best depending of course) some fellas add additional power to the remote triggers. You can also hard wire the slave flashes with wires but that invites more problems with rodents and such. The battery run time of the sb-28's I understand is very good and no need for extra power unless you plan on leaving them out for over a month at a time. There are other flash units to consider such as the sb-24 and there are a few others. Research this forum for other options out there.

The most important aspect of this is buying a good quality remote flash trigger. Do your research and make sure that the triggers work with both camera and flash brands. This is a very good trigger if you can still find them. They work with both Nikon, Canon and maybe more. One works as a transmitter and the other a receiver. http://flashhavoc.com/commlite-comtrig-t320-review/

Array

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:51 pm 
King
King

Awesome! I'm assuming (over bait) battery life of the camera, trigger/reciever, and sb28/24 would all require externals to stay healthy. Which is my plan ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:48 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Can you guys explain how you would use the receiver on the hot shoe receiver? I'm a little confused

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:08 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

My mistake, :bag
Some brands of remote triggers use transceivers instead a transmitter and a receiver. Transceivers work as either a transmitter or as a receiver.

Outdoorsman.........the transmitter uses very little power and it's been said that they will last up to a year or more. Receivers are power hungry and you will need extra power for them. You could use either AA, AAA, C, or D alkaline 1.5 v. batteries. In this picture you will see what I have done. I glued two "AA" 1.5 v. battery holders (in series) to each other. Then I joined the red to the red and the black to the black giving me 4 x "AA" batteries which equals 3 v. For your receiver I would use "D" cells if it were me. You cannot use NiMH batteries as they are only 1.2 v. each and no combination of them will give you 3 v. total. I made the mistake of using 2 x "AA" NiMH 1.2 v batteries before which equaled 2.4 v. It did work but it was extremely unreliable as you would expect with that low of voltage. Yes, adding extra power for the camera and flashes may be a good idea too, far more flexibility that way.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Array

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:04 pm 
King
King

I would think (2) "D" cell batteries would power the receiver for a good while. Over bait, it'll get a workout, for sure! How about the SB-28's? What would you recommend there? Thanks again! ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:20 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Theoutdoorsman wrote:
I would think (2) "D" cell batteries would power the receiver for a good while. Over bait, it'll get a workout, for sure! How about the SB-28's? What would you recommend there? Thanks again! ...

Sure, any additional power is better than 2 x "AAA" alkaline batteries that it comes with. "Be sure not to use 2 x "AAA" alkalines" inside your receiver when you are adding additional power.

Most definitely the tried and true sb-28's or sb-24's. Tiger Hunter has mentioned other models that he said worked but you will have to look up his post to find that out.

I've read on numerous occasions here where members have fried their sb-28's for having it fire off too many flashes in a row. I would research that topic and learn from their mistakes on what not to do.

All times are